Is this DIPA recipe a sound one? I'm still a greenhorn but showing improvement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jollyjimbo

Reaction score
Foggy Goggle Rye Double IPA #3
3 Gallon Recipe
0.5 Lb Crystal Rye malt
3.3 Lb Light LME
2 Lb Amber DME
1 oz Cascade (60 min=bittering)
0.75 oz Fuggles (20 min=flavoring)
0.75 Cascade (flame out=aroma)
0.50 oz Hallertauer (dry hopping)

3/4 Lb Light brown sugar
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast 1056

Started with 1.5 gallons spring water in brewpot and add 1 tsp gypsum. Add .5lb crystal rye malt in a grain bag when water is at 155 degrees F, steep for 25 minutes. Remove grains add LME/DME then bring water to a boil. Proceed through 60 minute hops schedule. Cool wort to desired temp for yeast and rack to primary. After fermentation takes off (1-2 days) dissolve 3/4 pound light brown sugar in 1.5 cups warm water. Allow to cool to 75 degrees F and add to primary fermentor. Rock carboy again. Primary ferment for 2 weeks, rack to secondary and dry hop for additional 2 weeks. Then bottle and enjoy at a later date. :mug::mug:

This is my first post here so Cheers everyone for the advise :rockin: :mug:

I plugged this into BeerSmith and it looks to me like you're going to be way low on your IBUs for a double IPA. I get 37.6, and the style guidelines start at like 60. I'm not saying you need to make your double IPA a huge hop bomb, but I don't think you have enough bitterness here to balance out the alcohol/sweetness from the malt extract.

Keep in mind, I don't have crystal rye in my ingredient list, so I used caramel wheat, but I don't think it really matters too much in this regard.

Also, I'm not sure how hoppy you want this flavor & aroma-wise, but 0.50 oz. of a low AA hop like Hallertauer probably isn't going to provide a huge punch of hoppiness.

I'm not sure what your hop inventory looks like but here's an option for the hopping schedule:

Move the 0.75 oz. flameout addition to 60, making your bittering addition 1.75 oz. of Cascade.

IF you have a full oz. of Fuggles and not just 0.75, add the whole thing at 20 minutes.

That ought to get you to about 60 IBUs. However, now you don't have a flameout/dry addition. If you've got more of each of these hop varieties, you could do like an oz. of each @ flameout and then another oz. of each as a dry hop - that would be pretty good.

Basically, I think you need more hops. :) And in particular, I like the idea of cascade and fuggles together more than I like the hallertauer being in there, but that's just me.

Foggy Goggle Rye Double IPA #3
3 Gallon Recipe
0.5 Lb Crystal Rye malt
3.3 Lb Light LME
2 Lb Amber DME
1 oz Warrior (60 min=bittering)
0.75 oz Fuggles (20 min=flavoring)
0.75 Cascade (flame out=aroma)
0.50 oz Hallertauer (dry hopping)
1 oz Cascade (dry hopping)

here.... maybe this will tweak things just enough

What are you shooting for by making a double IPA? what sort of flavor profile are you looking for? When I think double IPA, I think of a big, extremely bitter, bursting with hop aroma, high alcohol beer. I think 60 IBU is on the weak side of a IIPA and will leave you with a really malty, cloying beer.

i'd try that recipe i tweaked for you
if you do a full boil size (3 gallons), you'll end up with a
7.2 ABV and 100+ IBU beer which is acceptable for a IIPA.
Warrior will be a clean bittering hop, but if you like iipa's to begin with that higher bittering range probably wont bother you much.

if so, just cut the warrior to .75 oz or so

your hop flavoring options are all you, do what makes you happy.

It will be a nice english IPA, but it won't be a double IPA. I'm assuming you've already brewed this? If so, Relax, don't worry, and have a home brew

deggenbe, thanks for your help. Basically I made this recipe as a standard IPA and wanted to bump it up to a DIPA. With that being said, my recipe was a total mind fart, i had some ideas, wrote them down and asked the professionals here. I have not yet brewed this, but will take your advise. The hallataeur hops were only used since I have some on hand. But, its time to try warrior as I havent used them yet.
I also agree on the brown sugar, I didn't use it in my standard IPA, even thought the recipe called for it, I dont like opening the fermenter after things get going, inviting in unwanted guests.

strat through marshall, im looking for a strong, hopbomb @7.5-9% ABV.

Back