Is this Cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas217

Reaction score
I have an unknown variety of hops growing in my yard. The cones have a definite square shape when viewed from the bottom. I'm pretty sure that means they are Cascade. Do you agree?

100_5950.jpg

100_5953.jpg

100_5957.jpg

It could well be, the cones are often distinctly elongated and 4-sided blocky.
My Cascades are loaded with similar cones and I could take the same pictures as those.

fwiw, Chinook is another strain that forms similar shaped cones...

Cheers!

That cone shape is very similar to all of my Chinook cones. My Cascade bracts are cupped inward, giving it the cone shape. The Chinook bracts flare outward like this, giving it that interesting "messy" look.

Thank you Day Trippr and Thaymond for your responses. I am now positive they are Chinook based on the bracts flaring outward. Here are a couple more pictures that show the out turned bracts more clearly.

100_5955.jpg

100_5951.jpg

What does it smell like? My Chinook is very dank and piney. My cascades are sweet smelling, like citrus.

The aroma is just starting to develop. I think I detect more pine than anything else but I'll be able to tell better in a few days.

Today was Harvest day and they are Cascade. The aroma is sweet grapefruit and so was the hop tea. ended up with 65 ounces. Tomorrow I brew a Cascade hops burst IPA :mug:

They are in fact Cascade. I sampled the hops burst IPA that I brewed with only these hops as I transferred it to the secondary for dry hopping. There is lots of sweet grapefruit flavor with pleasant hints of grassiness. :ban:

100_6001.jpg

Latest posts

Back