Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleKrusty

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been looking through the forums at infected batches. I still can't tell for the life of me if this is just trub(/Krausen?) or if it is an infection in progress. This is my second extract brew.

It is a Brewers Best IPA kit. Primary fermentation slowed down after 5 days so I racked it to a secondary today to take this photo. Any advice or a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

ForumRunner_20130227_230937.png

That looks like fermenting beer with whole hops and yeast floating about. There really is no need to be transfering so early, best to leave your bucket closed for 2 weeks minimum IMO. Playing around unnecesarily with our brew is not a good thing and exposes to harmful things...like oxygen and airborne bugs.

Next time ignore it for at lest two weeks, but I think you will be fine all the same...cheers!

I guess I'll have to sit tight and wait. I tasted a small sample after racking and it didn't taste funny. It tasted like it'd be decent in a few more weeks. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back