Is this a solid deal on a keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a huge freezer. I dont see anything making it worth that amount though. The taps are basic chrome taps and there are no kegs.
I bought a brand new maytag 14cf for $300 which holds 10 kegs. rochester looks to have a lot of freezers for sale on cl for cheap. tank and regulator is $100 that distributor is $50-75, basic taps/shanks x4 are $100 new the controller is $20.

It looks to me you would max new spend $300 for the equipment and then hes charging $700 for the freezer and a 2x4 collar. I just built a 8 tap all stainless perlick 525 keezer for about $600 (that was spending $300 on a new freezer instead of buying used)

Seems way too expensive. Its nice but I agree, there is nothing that stands out other than the room it provides to cool.

If you decide to go it on your own, there are lots of builds out there. I bought a used freezer off craigslist for cheap and built my own. You don't have to be an expert, but you do need to have time to put into it. Some are willing to pay given they don't have enough time in the day, which I get.

If the OP is determined to buy the listed keezer, he should request that it be set to 0°F at least 24 hours before visiting, and then make sure it hit and held that temperature.

I've seen too many of these offers turn out to be graced with a failing cooling system...

Cheers!

Unless you are looking to expand past 4 taps, it seems to be overkill to me. I guess you could carb kegs, lager, or store your pipeline in it as is, but I think you could get a much smaller 4 tap keezer at about half the price, if not less. It looks as if a new freezer of that size can be bought for about $800 or so. I'm not sure there is another $200 in the rest of the parts.

I would say it is not a very good deal.

Agreed. Seems a bit $teep but that is a monster freezer that runs close to $850+ new.

If the OP is determined to buy the listed keezer, he should request that it be set to 0°F at least 24 hours before visiting, and then make sure it hit and held that temperature.

I've seen too many of these offers turn out to be graced with a failing cooling system...

Cheers!

I got one off Craigslist for $50 and worked when I looked at it. Got it home and ready to use but wouldn't cool. Luckily for me it came with a Johnson analog controller so I removed the collar with 4 taps and bought a new freezer the same exact size and just dropped the collar on. So I got a analog controller, collar and 4 chrome taps for $50, but I will never by a chest freezer off Craigslist again.

I got one off Craigslist for $50 and worked when I looked at it. Got it home and ready to use but wouldn't cool. Luckily for me it came with a Johnson analog controller so I removed the collar with 4 taps and bought a new freezer the same exact size and just dropped the collar on. So I got a analog controller, collar and 4 chrome taps for $50, but I will never by a chest freezer off Craigslist again.

Did you tilt it on its side to transport it? If so set it up right for a day and try again. The "juice" in the cooling system will flood the pump and keep it from compression. Once it drains it'll run again.

Thanks guys seemed steep but wasn't sure if that was over
The top or not and like many said, no kegs included
And I'm weary of a used
Appliance without having them run it and test it to reach temp. Thanks for the help. I'll likely
Put in the time and do
It myself just starting some research

Back