Is there such a thing as Baking Pears?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Mama came home with 12lbs of pears, said they were on the ground so I assume they are ripe. I was told they are hard on account they are baking pears...Is there such a thing? I ask here because with bulk fruit there is no chance of it getting outta here alive. Only one way outta here and that is when the yeast are done with it.

Attachments

• P1030787.JPG
    P1030787.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
In Britain , where I grew up, there were "cooking apples" and "cooking pears" - these were multiple varietals of fruit that were not typically eaten for dessert because they were very tart and typically very hard. I would imagine - but was too young then to try - that "baking" pears would likely make a very good cider perry or pear wine (Likely nicely acidic, full of tannins and (hopefully) pleasantly flavored )...BUT .. BUT if these fruit were picked from the ground I would be very careful that they are not covered in e-coli or listeria. You may want to really wash the fruit before doing anything else.

Thanks for the advice. Gonna wash good, now you have me thinking about NOT peeling due to the tannins you mentioned....That or half. I have about 14lbs and was going to use a pound of banana to get 3 gallons

Back