Is there any way to add bitterness after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dae06

Reaction score
I tried to use tea ball infusers for my hops trying to clean the brew pot up a bit. I used 3 small infusers for 1 oz. of pellet hops (each infuser was 1/2 full to start) and to my surprise, they swelled up some much I don't think I got any benefit from the bittering hops at all.

I'm really reaching here, but could I brew another batch of the same kind and double the bittering hops, ferment it and mix the 2 in the bottling bucket right before bottling to even them out?

After I did this, I read an article that claims more trub may make a cleaner beer. Go figure!!! You live and learn I guess.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Did you taste the wort? I'd just let it ride and see how it comes out - you might like it! If not, you could try boiling some hop oil extract and dump that in for bottling...

Prior to adding the yeast I tasted the wort from when I tested the OG. It was sweet, but who knows it may be drinkable. I would assume that it got some benefits from the hops prior to them swelling up?.?.

Doesn't hop oil only add aroma, not bitterness?

Prior to adding the yeast I tasted the wort from when I tested the OG. It was sweet, but who knows it may be drinkable. I would assume that it got some benefits from the hops prior to them swelling up?.?.

It was sweet because of all the sugar in the wort. The yeast will process most of the sugar and turn it into C02 and Ethyl alcohol. Give it a few weeks fermentation and then a few weeks conditioning in bottles and you will have a much better beer!

What kind of beer were you going for? If it was supposed to be on the more bitter side in the first place it could still be pretty good.

We're the hops in the ball dry? You might have still gotten decent bittering even with the restricted flow.

My understanding is that it's used in hugely bitter (100+ IBUs) beers at the beginning of a boil to add bitterness which can not easily be achieved without additional issues of huge amounts of trub created by equivalent hop bittering additions.

I've never used it, but I don't think it adds much, if any, aroma. At least not after a good long boil for sure...

Latest posts

Back