Is there a name for it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1. Wort is the liquid that you put into the fermenter.
2. Beer is the stuff you drink at the end of the entire journey.
3. So, what do you call the stuff just before you put it in the bottle or keg?

Arthur? Bit serially, is there a name more precise than beer, or perhaps green beer, for the not quite ready for prime time product?

You don't drink straight from the fermenter.

C'mon, beer vocabulary can be incredibly complex. There has to be a better name than beer for the straight from the fermenter product.

Well, I guess you could call it, technically, " green beer". It's malt & hop flavors can still be a bit muddled until it carbs & conditions some in the keg or bottles. That would be the closest, most accurate descriptor to me?

Well, I guess you could call it, technically, " green beer". It's malt & hop flavors can still be a bit muddled until it carbs & conditions some in the keg or bottles. That would be the closest, most accurate descriptor to me?

Yeah, green beer is my best guess, too. The stuff definitely has a lot of changes to go through before it is truly drinkable. I've gotta think there is some incredibly long German name for it though.

What usually comes out is warm, uncarbonated beer - but it might be cold and/or carbonated, depending on your process (crash chill? Ferment under pressure?). Appropriate modifiers handle all situations without redefining words or inventing new terms. The word "beer" has been in use as a term of art for centuries. You can redefine the word any way you like for your own purposes; just don't expect to be accurately understood by folks who don't know about your personal definition. It isn't reasonable to expect the world to adopt a new meaning and thus invalidate all existing literature without a compelling incentive.

I am not looking for a new meaning, just for greater accuracy. Just as Eskimos have a hundred words for snow, I think there must be terms for beer in the various stages of its product life.

In some languages, such as Inuit and German, whan a modifier is used with an existing word a new, longer word is frequently created. In English, whan a modifier is used the original word remains unchanged. We just use the existing (and well-understood) word "beer" and add separate descriptors as needed. That is why there aren't dozens of distinct words for different stages of beer production. We don't need them. You could choose to call warm, uncarbonated beer "xenu" if you want to - but nobody would understand you. "Warm, uncarbonated beer", on the other hand, works well.

Term I've seen in various sources, including Brewing Science and Practice, for beer that has not finished the fermentation process completely and hasn't been cleared or carbonated is "green beer"

Beer is liquid made from fermenting the sugar of grains. So when it is fermented, it is beer. Distillers use beer to make whiskey, which is liquid that is the product of distilled fermented sugar from grains, which is then aged. That goes through different stages - mash, fermentation into beer, distillation into "white dog," then aging into whiskey.

Beer is beer. Green, young, aged, carbonated, flat, good, bad, light, dark, hoppy, malty, whatever. It's beer.

Here, have a beer.
No thanks, I'll wait until it has been carbed and bottled for a few weeks.

"Green beer" seems the most suitable modifier so far.

Unconditioned/uncarbonated beer. I think it is beer when it is fermented. Just like wine. There are sparkling and non-sparkling wines, but they are all wine. Beer is the same, but it just so happens that flat beer sucks and nobody drinks it that way.

You don't think "green beer" adds anything to the accuracy of the description? It is still beer, just a little more defined.

As a descriptor sure. You can describe a beer in any number of ways to convey your meaning. Flat, young, boozy, hot, off, sour, infected, old, stale, oxygenated, delicious, full bodied, green...etc

Some beers at kegging are ready in hours for drinking. Are they green?

Others may take weeks/months to mature. When do they stop being green?

As a definition, (Is there a name for it?), not useful.

There are perhaps 3 million words of jargon associated with the brewing of beer, and you want to create MORE? Hyperbole aside, why?

In a world of SPARGE, FLY SPARGE, TRUB, HYDROMETER, REFRACTOMETER, RACKING, RACKING CANE, AUTOSIPHON, KEGGLE, FALSE BOTTOM, KEGERATOR, KEEZER, MASH, DECOCTION, RO WATER, DME, LME, FIRST RUNNINGS, SACCHARIZATION, DIASTATIC POWER, DENATURED ENZYMES and many more, we're lacking additional jargon?

What comes out of the fermenter is beer; it's not carbonated, and not conditioned, but that's merely a matter of taste.

If you must have a term, Green Beer will do.

As a descriptor sure. You can describe a beer in any number of ways to convey your meaning. Flat, young, boozy, hot, off, sour, infected, old, stale, oxygenated, delicious, full bodied, green...etc

Some beers at kegging are ready in hours for drinking. Are they green?

Others may take weeks/months to mature. When do they stop being green?

As a definition, (Is there a name for it?), not useful.

That's where I'm at. Some beer is ready straight from the fermenter.

There are perhaps 3 million words of jargon associated with the brewing of beer, and you want to create MORE? Hyperbole aside, why?

It is not that I want to create more words. But given that our chosen avocation has perhaps three million words of jargon, it is hard to believe that not one of those three million words fits here.

I offered "green" in my original note. I don't think it is great, but it seems about as good as we've got. That surprises me.

Really? I never knew that. What kind of beer is that? And please don't say "green".

I have a bitter that's pretty much ready straight from the fermenter. It needs a little bit more carbonation but the taste really doesn't change.

Green beer :mug:

download (7).jpg

To me, "green beer" is what all the dumb college kids get sick off of on St. Patrick's Day.

Sugary water from grains? Wort. Yeast added to wort? Beer. Stick any adjective in front of it you want, but it's beer.

:)

*EDIT* Props to jddevin!

According to the tour guides at Flying Dog brewery, it is called "cheerleader beer". Because it is flat and warm like all the beers the cheerleaders started to drink but abandoned after a frat party.

1. Wort is the liquid that you put into the fermenter.
2. Beer is the stuff you drink at the end of the entire journey.
3. So, what do you call the stuff just before you put it in the bottle or keg?

Arthur? Bit serially, is there a name more precise than beer, or perhaps green beer, for the not quite ready for prime time product?

Wort becomes beer as soon as the yeast start doing their job. So...like maybe ten minutes after pitching the yeast, tops.

Sure, "green beer" is a good term for beer that's not fully conditioned yet.

I think it is kind of funny that you're asking if there is a more complicated way to say something that is complicated enough. By the time you get your wort in the fermenter and add yeast, you should be happy that it's just "beer!"

According to the tour guides at Flying Dog brewery, it is called "cheerleader beer". Because it is flat and warm like all the beers the cheerleaders started to drink but abandoned after a frat party.
It's flat, warm, fun to look at, but not much personality. If you tried to talk to one you'd probably regret it because it's pretty dumb and not much for conversation. The best thing you can do is wait for it to mature then take its top off and enjoy the experience. Don't fall too madly in love with this one... There's plenty of others out there.

It's flat, warm, fun to look at, but not much personality. If you tried to talk to one you'd probably regret it because it's pretty dumb and not much for conversation. The best thing you can do is wait for it to mature then take its top off and enjoy the experience. Don't fall too madly in love with this one... There's plenty of others out there.

Ha! This is a much better rationale behind the term "cheerleader beer". Should pass that one on to Flying Dog.

*** SNIGLET ALERT *** It seems we need a new word for this liquid. I propose:

Soontobeer - noun - liquid in post fermentation state awaiting final conditioning. Beer which has been fermented but not yet conditioned.
Use: This soontobeer should be ready and rockin' in about 4 weeks.
Alternate spelling, soontabeer.

Latest posts

Back