Is there a brewing calculator that supports KCl and NaCl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanfrenzy

Reaction score
I have been using EZ Brewing Water for years and love it. However, I've started incorporating Potassium Chloride and Table Salt in some of my recipes to minimize calcium while boosting chloride. Is there a brewing calculator that supports these two salts?

Bru'n Water doesn't support Potassium Chloride additions. I don't know of any software that does.

Just use table salt in the calcs at the ppm you want for combined NaCl and KCl.
Then substitute part of it with KCl. To be precise, make a correction for KCl's slightly higher molecular mass when weighing out. The Cl ppm will remain the same as set in the calculator.

I’m not an advocate of adding a lot of calcium to brewing water, but I’m also not concerned if my salt additions elevate calcium.

As long as sodium is kept under about 100 ppm, it’s not going to matter very much for beer flavor and it can actually be a positive. Sodium is not salty tasting until its about 250 ppm and above.

Using a potassium salt is not necessary and that’s why it’s not included in Bru’n Water.

Back