Is the wire wrap necessary on a counterflow chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's talking about a copper wire wrapper around the inner coil of a Counter Flow Chiller.
mqdefault.jpg

Creates turbulence and thus more efficiency, but I'd say a CFC without a wire wrap is still better than nothing.

The wire wrapped around the inner 3/8"copper tube is so that the tube does not contact the outer hose. This allows the cooling water to flow all the way around the tube causing even cooling and no hot spots.

Right, not necessary. Hell he's in Iowa anyways I'm sure his wort will be frozen after a single pass through anyways!

Building counterflow chiller 3/8" copper. Is the wire wrap I've seen on the internet necessary?

I grew up in W. Des Moines.

As others have said it's not necessary but for the cost of the wire and increase efficiency why not add it.

I grew up in W. Des Moines.

As others have said it's not necessary but for the cost of the wire and increase efficiency why not add it.

Looks like a pain in the a$$ to install. It's hard enough to slide the copper down the hose without the wire wrapped around it.

I could be wrong though, but probably not ;)

Someone built one with a wire wrap and one without. No difference in cooling power. Not necessary.

Latest posts

Back