Is that CO2? Wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmeek

Reaction score
So my first batch of mead has a bit over 24 hrs since I pitched the yeast. I added my second sna addition about 7-8 hrs ago and thought I'd give the cap a punch (mango melomel) and when I leaned into the bucket to take a whiff I bout fell on my ass with a strong burning sensation from the fumes coming off of my mead/must. Is that built up CO2 gas? I suppose it kind of reminded me when you open a bottle of cola and the gas hits your nose a bit, but man that was strong! Should I be de-gassing more often during peak fermentation? How do I know when to stop sloshing the must around and introducing oxygen? before 50% of sugars gave been depleted? This should take a few days for a 1.080 mead right?

As you're using a bucket (and assuming you've not got the proper degassing equipment like me) I'd suggest my way of degassing. I'm using a spatula to stir the must. The holes in the spatula agitate the must enough to release the CO2 and as you're stirring and not "sloshing" there is minimal introduction of oxygen.

Anybody else with other tips? :)

I was under the impression the addition of oxygen was important up to a certain point?

Latest posts

Back