Is stepping up a 1L starter three times the same as making a 4L starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrongBad42

Reaction score
A recipe calls for a 4L starter and I only have a 1L flask. If I step it up three times, is that the same as doing a 4L starter? Also, I just want to make sure I understand stepping up correctly:

1. Make a 1L starter and add yeast
2. Let yeast work their magic
3. Decant
4. Make a separate 1L starter
5. Dump separate starter onto yeast cake
6. Repeat steps 2-5 until cell count reached

Does that sound about right?

1.Do starter.
2.Decant (cold crash and pour only liquid out)
3.Pour 80% of yeast into sanitized jar
4.Do starter with 20% of leftover yeast
5.decant
Repeat step 3-5
Do until step 3 has about 4L of yeast.
Edited to clarify
This will probably take 12 days. Try to get a 2L or larger flask. :(

A recipe calls for a 4L starter and I only have a 1L flask. If I step it up three times, is that the same as doing a 4L starter? Also, I just want to make sure I understand stepping up correctly:

1. Make a 1L starter and add yeast
2. Let yeast work their magic
3. Decant
4. Make a separate 1L starter
5. Dump separate starter onto yeast cake
6. Repeat steps 2-5 until cell count reached

Does that sound about right?

No, its not the same. Some people say you can't step up a one liter starter (its not enough wort). Check this video and table out: http://billybrew.com/stepping-up-a-yeast-starter. yeastcalc.com says stepping up one liter helps a little the first time and doesn't help the second time.

I had the same problem. I spent the day searching for a 2L jug that I could use for a starter that would also work with a stirplate. The only jugs i could find didn't allow the stir bar to spin. I finally settled on a big glass bowl and I'll cover the top with aluminum foil. I haven't tried this yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Also, if you don't use a stir plate any container should work (it doesn't have to be a flask).

Latest posts

Back