Is my yeast too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlids

Reaction score
I just had a couple recipe kits delivered today from Northern Brewer. Unfortunately, they shipped them on Friday and they sat in UPS's warehouse all weekend so the ice pack on the yeast did very little to help them keep cool.

When I recieved the delivery today I stuck a thermometer between the two yeast packs (both Wyeast) and the temp was 79.3°F. Is the yeast going to be okay or should I contact Northern Brewer to see if they will replace my yeast?

I just had a couple recipe kits delivered today from Northern Brewer. Unfortunately, they shipped them on Friday and they sat in UPS's warehouse all weekend so the ice pack on the yeast did very little to help them keep cool.

When I recieved the delivery today I stuck a thermometer between the two yeast packs (both Wyeast) and the temp was 79.3°F. Is the yeast going to be okay or should I contact Northern Brewer to see if they will replace my yeast?

79f isn't horrible, but you have no idea how hot they reached while in transit. I'd probably build a starter and try to build them up. barring that (ie, you don't have any DME handy) calling northern brewer might be an ok option. I've never dealt with them in this regard.

I think most places recommend against ordering liquid yeasts during the peak of the summer (unless it's next day shipping and you'll be there to pick it up).

Just make some decent starters out of them and you'll be fine.

I had the same problem for a 4th of july sale last year, but it was about 10 days transit. Needless to say, none of those beers ended up being drinkable. I always buy the kit, minus yeast, online now, get the yeast local. I actually get everything local now, but that's what i did until i started using the LHBS exclusively.

Back