Is my temperature too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSmith19

Reaction score
I pitched my S04 yeast when the wort was still about 30-35 C, I soon after realized this was not a good idea and immediately placed the carboy in a water bath, wrapped a wet towel around it and turned on the fan right next to it.

Within a half hour it had dropped to the 25-30 C range and three hours after pitching it was at about 24 C. Four hours from pitch its at 22 C and still dropping with the first small bubbles coming out of the airlock.

Given these details, can I expect banana rum as a product or is there hope?

Yikes, that's hot. That yeast strain gets very estery (bananas and unpleasant fruitiness) at above about 18C. For me, I never ferment S04 above 17C. It is rather unpleasant to me at above 17C.

It ferments fast, especially at warm temperatures so I suspect it will be about done at 24 hours above 21C.

At 4 hours I don't thing it will be terrible. But, IMO it is still quite a bit high. Keep getting the temperature down. I would shoot for something in the 18-20C range.

If you continue do get the temperature down I don't think it will be bad.

From my package "Ideally 15-20C. I always shoot for the lower half of the range.

Thanks for the replies, at hour 5 it is now at 19 C and that's read from a thermometer strip several inches above the water line of the tub its in with maybe only 3 gentle carboy shakes since pitching to distribute temperature.

Latest posts

Back