IS MY SCOBY BAD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin takayasu

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first time trying to grow a scoby from a store bought kombucha bottle. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing for my "scoby" to look like.

Attachments

• IMG_4147.JPG
    IMG_4147.JPG
    834.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4148.JPG
    IMG_4148.JPG
    924.9 KB · Views: 31
How long has it been sitting?

That is indeed a pellicle, but not normal-looking for a kombucha SCOBY pellicle.

If it's only been a day or two, I'd be inclined to give it several more days, up to 1-2 weeks.

Welcome to HBT!

I would scrape the mold of the top and keep it going. How did you make the 'bucha, and what temp. is it?

That is indeed a pellicle, but not normal-looking for a kombucha SCOBY pellicle.

If it's only been a day or two, I'd be inclined to give it several more days, up to 1-2 weeks.

Welcome to HBT!
that was the 7 day mark, and was made by using store kombucha as a starter at fairly cold temps

It should be at room temp.

If it doesn't develop a normal scoby pellicle at 2-3 weeks, dump it, clean the jar, and try again.

It's got a pellicle on top, which is a different bacteria and it might be ok, but it definitely isn't something that I would keep. The idea of the cellulose mat that forms is to prevent unwanted microbes from taking hold. A healthy SCOBY may look weird and bumpy at times, but never should have obvious signs of contamination.

Welcome to HBT!
that was the 7 day mark, and was made by using store kombucha as a starter at fairly cold temps

Back