Is my Saison batch shot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr0930

Reaction score
Brewed this batch in September. For a number of personal reasons just never got around to bottling it. Smells fine to me but the stuff in these pictures makes me uneasy. Thoughts?

If it is salvageable what is the best way to reactivate/add yeast for bottle conditioning?

ForumRunner_20120115_112434.jpg

ForumRunner_20120115_112445.jpg

ForumRunner_20120115_112458.jpg

I'm hoping someone else chimes in on this thread. I would try the beer. If it tastes good, then you are ok to drink it. However, because it looks like an infection, I don't know if I would bottle this (this is where I hope someone chimes in). If it is bacterial, they will keep munching on stuff within the bottle and you could potentially end up with a lot of bottle bombs. You could bottle and stash them all in your fridge and that should slow things down. I would also drink them quickly.

There's nothing wrong with the beer in that pic. Rack out from under the "skin" and bottle it up. Sometimes beer gets a skin. Unless it's got webs, legs, or winks at you when you open the lid, it's good to go.

Seriously.

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah it was the "skin" that threw me off. Everything I have read says just bottle and see. Any tips for bottling? Should I make a starter and put a little in each bottle before the pour? Would a smack pack the same way do the job?

There is plenty of yeast left even in "clear" beer to do the job of carbonation. I wouldn't bother with adding any extra. Just give it 3 weeks at 70 degrees once you bottle it.

That looks like lactobacillus to me.

I would rack out from under it, although if it is lacto, that's not really the worst thing that could happen to a saison IMO.

Yeah, it's lacto. I would check you gravity reading and if it's under 1.010, I would bottle it.

And I agree with weirdboy, not really a bad thing to happen to a saison. I would, however, get a new bucket. Unless you want to chance souring your other beers.

Who knows, you may have an accidental awesome saison definitely bottle and see what happens. Leave the skin, or give it to a friend and tell him it's pudding skin. Lol

Don't bottle without checking your gravity. If it's not below 1.010, you run the risk of exploding bottles.

Definitely a lacto infection. Your beer will have a tartness to it. If you go into it knowing it'll taste like that, you might even like it.

Thanks to all for the input! Going to pull a reading and hopefully give it a go. Will cap off the thread with an update when all is said and done.

Turned out great! Thanks for the assistance everyone! Pretty fruity and body real tart. Has a lot going on. Only thing, I wish it had more carbonation. maybe with more time....

Latest posts

Back