Is my regulator and tank valve broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y2jrock60

Reaction score
A few years ago I purchased a fridge-to-kegerator conversion kit and used it without a hitch. I recently started to keg my homebrew so I adapted it to work on ball lock kegs. It has been working great for the last few months, but last night my half full bottle of CO2 leaked out and my keg was completely unpressurized. I know my keg isn't leaking I've had the CO2 hooked up for it for 3 days without any drop on my tank regulator. After unscrewing my regulator it appears that my CO2 valve is missing parts. I've tried searching for pictures online but can't find ones that show the correct angle. I recall there being a little ball on the CO2 valve that need to be depressed before any CO2 is released, I can see all the into the tank where the shut off screw stem goes up and down. I think something blew out. Also, the internal stem where my CO2 regulator attaches to the tank is completely blocked. I haven't found any good pictures so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, but it doesn't look right. Here are some pictures.

The CO2 tank valve
0413141152.jpg

Another shot of the CO2 tank valve
0413141153.jpg

Regulator stem that attaches to the CO2 tank
0413141153a.jpg

Does it look like something is wrong or missing? Is it possible to repair any of these parts if there broken?

Everything in those pictures looks ok to me. What appears to be a blockage in your regulator input, is probably just a screen to keep any junk in the tank out of the regulator. You will have to refill the tank and take either some starsan or soapy water in a spray bottle and start testing for leaks.

Back