Is my pot to large?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlayton92

Reaction score
Ok so im pretty new to brewing I got a kit off more beer and the pot is huge. My recipe calls to boil 2 gal and steep my grains the only problem is the base of my pot is so large the the water isn't deep enough for the grains should I get a new pot or add more water

Just add more water. Boil the entire batch size if you can.

How big is your pot and how much are you trying to make?

i have an eight gallon pot as well, it makes boil overs essentially impossible. i love it. also, i steeped my grains separate once and never did it again. even if the recipe calls for it. it was just annoying and it didn't seem to do anything but over complicate the brewing process.

If your heat source is big enough. And you have a way to cool the wort quickly. Yes, boil 5 gallons.

Steep your grains in a large muslin bag when they're done pull em out and DON'T wring the bag then go onto your boil.

A full wort boil is great, even for extract only recipes. Just remember to check that you're controlling appropriately for things like different hop utilization when you change the process portion of your recipe.

Wringing would extract tannins which would give you a harsh astringent flavor, and can also contribute to chill haze.

Camp chef on roids and a plate chiller good enough?

The plate chiller is, certainly. Without knowing the specific model (or what alterations count as being "on roids") I can't say for sure, but given that all the Camp Chef single burner stoves I know of are at least 30K BTU, I'd say yes.

The plate chiller is, certainly. Without knowing the specific model (or what alterations count as being "on roids") I can't say for sure, but given that all the Camp Chef single burner stoves I know of are at least 30K BTU, I'd say yes.

Its just a burner I built at work and im not sure on the model it was a buddys but he would run 5 gal through it and it would drop to 74-80

Latest posts

Back