Is my fist all grain brew fermenting wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavnisaur

Reaction score
Hi I'm making my first all grain brew and chose a simple smash IPA recipe. I used 2 row barley, cascade hops, Irish moss and Danstar Bry 97 american west coast ale yeast http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/bry-97-american-west-coast-beer-yeast. Its 36 hours since I pitched my yeast and its going crazy! For the first 24 hours the sediments settled nicely to the bottom, then when I woke up this morning all the sediment was suspended in the solution again and the airlock has very rapid activity (more than 1 bubble per second). Upon closer inspection it looks like its swirling rapidly on its own like a cloudy snow globe. I was hoping some one with more experience and knowledge could let me know if this is normal and if not what I should do. Also the yest says its top fermenting, a small krausen has formed on top but lots of co2 bubbles are coming up from the bottom, does this mean that another yeast strain is at work?

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Watch your temps, try to keep it in the mid '60's for the ferment, at least the first 4-5 days.

Completely 100% normal. What you saw initially was protein break material settling out before fermentation got active. And now that fermentation is active, there's 100's of billions of yeast cells in there going buckwild fermenting stirring everything up. The "top fermenting" and "bottom fermenting" aren't as simple as they sound, and some strains form more krausen than others.

Let it right. You're good to go.

Agreed : normal.
For the 1st 24 hours or so, the yeast are busy multiplying, then when they reach the numbers they want, they switch to anaerobic fermentation, and that's when you see things get busy.
Also, top vs. bottom fermenting is an oversimplification. The yeast are well distributed throughout the entire container.
And this is a big reason to ferment in an opaque bucket. The yeast know what they're doing without us being peeping Toms. ;)

Thanks for all the great responses so quickly! You guys are way more helpful than people on the tech forums I have to use for my it job! Most of the sediment has settled out out since last time I posted. I know someone is gonna tell me not to use clear fermenters but the krausen has mostly broken up, airlock activity stopped and the is no visible activity in the bucket. Is this also normal? Sorry about being so paranoid and unsure but this is one of my first batches and its my very first all grain so I'm kind of in the dark.

Clear fermentors are awesome, especially for newbies. Who doesn't want to watch their yeast make a snow globe?

Mmm. Beer snow globe.

Thanks for all the great responses so quickly! You guys are way more helpful than people on the tech forums I have to use for my it job! Most of the sediment has settled out out since last time I posted. I know someone is gonna tell me not to use clear fermenters but the krausen has mostly broken up, airlock activity stopped and the is no visible activity in the bucket. Is this also normal? Sorry about being so paranoid and unsure but this is one of my first batches and its my very first all grain so I'm kind of in the dark.

Yes, also normal. But while the visible signs of fermentation are fading, the yeast are still busy. After they ferment the majority of the easy sugars, they work on the longer chain sugars and the byproducts that are formed during the first mad rush of fermentation. Takes them a couple days to do that, then they gradually start to settle into a nice compact layer on the bottom. They are still working some, but much more slowly. So, I would say that the general consensus is to wait a week or so after visible signs are over, then take a series of SGs. If stable, then you're done and can move on to the next stage.

Latest posts

Back