Is my beer too dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing an Orval-style beer (Jamil's recipe for Belgian Specialty) and this is my first Brett beer. The pre-brett beer finished dryer than expected at 1.006. I was expecting something more like 1.011.

What effect will the Brett have in a beer with so little starch left to work on? I know Orval is a pretty dry beer, but what's too dry? I can only imagine where I'll land after the brett does whatever it can.

Anyone have any insight? Is it worth adding a little maltodextrin? I just added the brett today.

Thanks in advance.

You still have more than enough sugar left for the brett to eat and get it drier. Also, the brett character you're looking for won't be generated, necessarily, by the brett fermenting the beer further, but by it metabolizing the byproducts of your primary yeast.

Orval is a pretty bone-dry beer. Don't worry about it, but carb high in heavy glass bottles. That's what helps the mouthfeel of these beers. Expect it to get to 1.002 or lower...

The Brett will just eat the maltodextrin, it's a losing battle.

Brett does not need sugar to work. I often make brews where they finish very low before adding the brett.

If you look for the Chad Yakobson youtube videos he has some great info about brett.

Back