Is my beer screwed??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
Hi all. I live in England and have only been brewing for about a year now. I am now doing AG. I have a big interest in brewing some American ales.
Anyway I haven't got much experience with S-05 yeast. I pitched my S-05 about 22 hours ago at about 18c (64f) but over night it has got down to about 15c and I still have no fermentation. I looked in the bucket and their is white clumps floating around.

What should I do? Any help would be appreciated.

I'd give it another 24 hours before you start to worry!
How cool was the wort when you pitched?
How cool was your yeast before you pitched?
What is the temp where you fermenting?

SpottedDogBrewing said:
I'd give it another 24 hours before you start to worry!
How cool was the wort when you pitched?
How cool was your yeast before you pitched?
What is the temp where you fermenting?

Just updated my post sorry

So do you think that by this time tomorrow it should start fermenting?

If it doesn't should I put a heat belt on it?

I guess Remy got tired of responding to these threads years ago. RAHAHB. Bring it up in temp a little and after 72h with no action then maybe look at repitching.

lewishowardm3 said:
So do you think that by this time tomorrow it should start fermenting?

If it doesn't should I put a heat belt on it?

If wort stays above 60F you should be fine!
What are you fermenting in? Where are you fermenting?
At least give it another 24-36 hours, then maybe repitch.

Was yeast fresh? Was it cold when you pitched it? Is fermenter on a cooler temp than ambient temp?

SpottedDogBrewing said:
If wort stays above 60F you should be fine!
What are you fermenting in? Where are you fermenting?
At least give it another 24-36 hours, then maybe repitch.

Was yeast fresh? Was it cold when you pitched it? Is fermenter on a cooler temp than ambient temp?

I ferment in a cupboard in the kitchen it's currently at about 60F. I ferment in a bucket. I pitched the S-05 dry. I do usually rehydrate but I forgot to do this. The yeast is fresh as far as I'm aware. I have wrapped the bucket in a thick towel so maybe this should do the trick.

What I have noticed when I fermented in buckets was whether or not the ambient temp was within yeast fermenting temps but whether the temp from the surrounding area is within yeast fermenting temps..... The floor, an outside wall, etc. so if inside your cabinet the wall is cooler than ambient temp(room temp) you could have possibly stalled your yeast from fermenting.
Either find out what the temp is permeating thru the wall or move to a larger area with a more consistent ambient temp!!

Temp control is huge - not only for reducing lag time, but also for controlling the flavors contributed by the yeast.

If you have a heat belt go ahead and throw it on now. If you insulate the bucket by wrapping it in a blanket without doing anything to warm it up, you're just going to hold it at its current (low) temperature until fermentation kicks off.

dmoore714 said:
Temp control is huge - not only for reducing lag time, but also for controlling the flavors contributed by the yeast.

If you have a heat belt go ahead and throw it on now. If you insulate the bucket by wrapping it in a blanket without doing anything to warm it up, you're just going to hold it at its current (low) temperature until fermentation kicks off.

I totally agree!!!

I have decided to put the beer In my living room to try get the temp up and I will move it back to the cupboard in a couple of hours and insulate it. Thanks for the input. Hopefully it will kick on :)

Back