Is mashing low a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
Basically I am not terribly knowledgable on mash profiles, but I just mashed in on BM's cream of three crops and after infusing some boiling water, I am done messing with it and its settled out at about 151. After a 90 minute mash its going to be around 148. The recipe calls for 152 and I am just wondering what undershooting your mash temps does exactly.

I don't really see a few degrees being a problem in this case since I want a really dry beer anyways. Just looking for some clarification.

Thanks

The whole brewing process is pretty forgiving.

You'll get a more fermentable wort with a lower mash temperature, all else being equal.

It'll probably ferment out to a little lower gravity than it otherwise would have.

Basically it will make the beer drier, 144-152 will convert more fermentable sugars and dry out the finished product. Higher mash temps make for a sweeter finished product.

If you want a dry beer then no harm done at all. The slightly lower temp will dry it out just a little and give you more fermentable sugars, thus a slightly stronger ABV. I'm guessing you won't mind that either! :)

Edit: A bit late there, I'm a slow typist. :)

Fastest damn community eva! These were basically my assumptions as well knowing that a higher mash temp will give you a more pronounced malt profile. Thanks for the quick answers folks.

Back