is it time to get barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chef1978

Reaction score
this is more of a rhetorical question,i know the answer now,but till yesterday i didnt,while playing with the newest version of beersmith i looked at my brew house efficiency=58% did some digging around and turned out that more normal range is 70-80!! i never paid attention to it before,always get my grains crushed at the store,that is run by my good buddy,now however i thing is time to shell out on new equipment.cheers!

I have used a cheap Corona style mill for 6 years. I get 70% or a little better consistently. Just responded to a thread where the OP called the Barley Crusher - JUNK. When I go to a roller mill it will probably be a Monster Mill 2.0

To get consistency you really need to have control over the crush. Your own mill is the way.

I have used a cheap Corona style mill for 6 years. I get 70% or a little better consistently. Just responded to a thread where the OP called the Barley Crusher - JUNK. When I go to a roller mill it will probably be a Monster Mill 2.0

To get consistency you really need to have control over the crush. Your own mill is the way.

Amen brother.seems like 3 roller is the way to go,i thought though sins the barley crusher is made in USA will be good piece of equipment!

Did you have any astringency issues? Lots of ppl say that this mill shreds the husk too much.

Astringency is primarily about temperature and pH..... not shredded husk material.

I would not recommend a Barley Crusher. I had one. It worked fine for quite a while - but then it wore out and would not grab grain any more (seems to be about universal experience of those who have them.)

Monster Mill 2 Roller is what I have now and it a great mill.

The difference between a mm or crankandstein 3 roller and a barley crusher is pretty dramatic. I picked up 8-10% in brewhouse efficiency when I switched.

Crankandstein 3 roller yields a great crush with intact hulls. I get really nice recirculation as well.

Monster mill and crankandstein are comparable units.

Good to know before spending money on this thing.much appreciate it guys.

I have a Cereal Killer and have been happy. From what I understand, it is similar to the BC but the BC has soft metal rollers which will wear out and produce a poor crush after awhile and the CK uses harder steal so they don't have that issue.

Not sure of the price difference between the CK and some of the other mills already noted.

Maybe try a different supplier first - I'm not sure I fully buy that crush can be poor enough to make that difference (I have no idea what I'm talking about - but the crushed I buy always seems to be on point)

I too use the Cereal Killer and have been pretty efficient in my brews. 70% ish. I prefer to crush my own grains for all the reasoning already mentioned. More consistent, and you have the ability to adjust the crush if needed.

Any mill can give you a good or a bad crush. When I had my Barley Crusher - I got 83% mash efficiency. I get 83% with my Monster Mill. The difference is that the rollers on the barley crusher wear down and it takes much more maintenance and work to keep the BC doing its thing. The MM (and other brands too) have better rollers and aren't as finicky as the BC is.

If you brew a fair amount and can by your base malt in 50 lb sacks, you can definitely make up the cost of a mill pretty easily in both efficiency of a better crush and buying bulk grain at much cheaper prices.

Done 3 roller monster mill requested as Christmas gift! Yeah it is few months away but what the hell,i can survive.

Not going to try to talk you out of an equipment purchase, but... You might want to try double crushing your grain. That's what I did before my Grainfather purchase. Even better, if you ask nicely, maybe your LHBS store will check the gap on their grinder and adjust.

Not going to try to talk you out of an equipment purchase, but... You might want to try double crushing your grain. That's what I did before my Grainfather purchase. Even better, if you ask nicely, maybe your LHBS store will check the gap on their grinder and adjust.

did just that today,got 5kg maris otter brewing tomorrow ordinary bitter,i will post the results,still you dont think will be nice to just have crusher and not be on mercy of the shop?

For what it's worth, i ran hundreds and hundreds of pounds through my Barley Crusher without issue and virtually no maintenance beyond brushing it out with a brush after use. Eventually it started seizing as is commonly reported, and now needs to be fully taken apart and cleaned regularly to keep the passive roller moving so it'll feed. I still use it for pilot batches weekly and maybe every 30-40 lbs it needs to be entirely disassembled and cleaned. If I could use my big commercial three roller for the pilot I would, but not feasible for small grain bills.

Point being is that more expensive mills will require less maintenance for sure, but you can get good mileage out of the BC as well.

did just that today,got 5kg maris otter brewing tomorrow ordinary bitter,i will post the results,still you dont think will be nice to just have crusher and not be on mercy of the shop?

One of the best purchases I've made is my cereal killer. I love having a consistent crush.

If your LHBS is owned/operated by someone serious about brewing you shouldn't have to ask them to check the gap on their mill. It should be a standard part of their business practice

If your LHBS is owned/operated by someone serious about brewing you shouldn't have to ask them to check the gap on their mill. It should be a standard part of their business practice

People with different practices require different gaps. A coarser crush for fly sparging and very fine BIAB crush are not better or worse than each other.

Plus I expect most LHBS mills are set extremely coarse for speed for crushing specialty grains for extract batches where grain crush isn't a significant factor.

With that in mind, asking for a particular crush isn't a ridiculous request.

People with different practices require different gaps. A coarser crush for fly sparging and very fine BIAB crush are not better or worse than each other.

Plus I expect most LHBS mills are set extremely coarse for speed for crushing specialty grains for extract batches where grain crush isn't a significant factor.

With that in mind, asking for a particular crush isn't a ridiculous request.

Agreed my man,but also ,and this is just pure speculation,but maybe not that crazy idea,if a guy has to add 1kg of grains every time he brews,and multiply that by hundreds of customers every week,you get the picture picture! I'm not saying this is what the are doing on purpose,but in the end of the day it is business .

So just did my first pre boil reading after supposedly milling my grains 2times,same brew hours efficiency!! 58% ,I'm finding quite a bit of whole intact barley in my mash tun!!��

what are you measuring temps with?

have you double checked the temp using another device?

I'm a complete novice but if you're so far off on numbers - maybe check the temps with something else or check the calibration on that thermo (ice / boil)

So just did my first pre boil reading after supposedly milling my grains 2times,same brew hours efficiency!! 58% ,I'm finding quite a bit of whole intact barley in my mash tun!!��

If you have significant numbers of intact kernels after double crushing, the mill is seriously out of adjustment. I'd get my grain from somewhere else, if you don't get your own mill.

Brew on :mug:

If you have significant numbers of intact kernels after double crushing, the mill is seriously out of adjustment. I'd get my grain from somewhere else, if you don't get your own mill.

if I remember correctly (not read back) the same problem happened when using commercial crushed - my first thought is check the strike temps are correct

if I remember correctly (not read back) the same problem happened when using commercial crushed - my first thought is check the strike temps are correct
OP is using supplier crushed grain (doesn't have own mill.) Intact kernels will not convert in the mash. Uncrushed kernels are a symptom of a mill with a gap that is way too wide. You'll get bad results with this no matter how tight your temperature control.

Back