Is it really that simple? and other issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftybrewer

Reaction score
So my first bw is at about 2 and a half weeks. Homemade lacto, raw malted 2-row in the fermenter. It sounded like soda pop in the fermenter. Decoction mash with additional carawheat. Innoculated 3 days after lacto infection with danstar munich wheat and white labs brett L. Pellicle about a week ago OG 1.038. I just tested the gravity and it's at 1.006. It's pretty sour. Questions:

1. I think I can taste the alcohol so I'm happy with that, although since lacto eats sugar you can't tell abv from just the o.g/f.g right?

2. I sense lemony notes. It could just be the style - I hear it's not complex - but should there be some maltiness in the taste?

3. Is the brett really going to transform it if I leave it alone for 6 months? I mean, the addition of brett almost turns it into a plambic style right? If I drink it in 6 months am I going to have a sour faroe on my hands?

Thank you, I really appreciate this forum and all of you funksters.

Back