Is it infected? My apartment that is ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmanzorro

Reaction score
I brewed my first large scale kettle soured Berliner Weiss last night and I'm worried that I infected my apartment.

I mashed a few days ago and pitched the lacto with no problems. Last night, I transferred to my kettle for a 15 minute boil on my stove. After placing into the carboys and going to sleep, I woke up this morning to a funky sour smell in my kitchen/living room. Left fans running all day and it still smells.

Has this happened to anyone before?

yep its infected. gotta burn the place down now to kill all bacteria.

seriously though its fine. there's already bacteria and wild yeast in the air.

Dude, EVERY apartment and hosue in infected. Theres lacto sitting in your fridge right now. Theres a myriad of bacteria in the grain dust from milling. Ive brewed over 100 batches in my old tiny kitchen that is absolutely contaminated without getting infections. You just need to be careful post boil....

It's never smelled like this before. It still does 3 days later. Smells like lacto when it gets too much oxygen. Kinda vomit-y.

A lot of sour beers (especially unintentional ones) go through a "sick period". Just wait it out and try it in a month or so. But make sure you never use that fermentor again if its plastic

Thanks. When I did my small batch, I didn't experience this smell at all, so maybe it was so small, I didn't notice.

Back