Is Hop union's scale broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remthewanderer

Reaction score
I just brewed a rye ipa that called for two additions of warrior hops and two additions of magnum hops. All additions were 0.5 oz so I had to open the 1oz packs and weigh them in order to split them.
My pack if warrior was 0.45oz total and my pack iof magnum hops weighed 1.20 oz.

What the heck?

I brewed with some of their hops yesterday and one of my bags was light too, by about a 1/4 oz. I had to open a second bag to get the full amount.

I've never actually taken the time to measure out my hops if I was using an ounce or more for my brew, I'm def going to start from now on though. If its a common problem we should bring it to their attention.

I have 3 lbs of hops from hop union, 1 each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra. All weighed 16.1 oz in the bag. Have 6-1oz packages of Strisselspalt all weighed exactly 1 oz. Mine all look good sorry to hear about your short packages. I would contact your supplier and see what they say.

I have 3 lbs of hops from hop union, 1 each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra. All weighed 16.1 oz in the bag. Have 6-1oz packages of Strisselspalt all weighed exactly 1 oz. Mine all look good sorry to hear about your short packages. I would contact your supplier and see what they say.

Ok those where all weighed in the bag?

OK I have some hops form them, (8) One oz bags come in at 1.1, one bag came in at 1.2, an one oz bag empty is .1 oz. (5) one pound bags weighed in at 1 lb .5 oz. I don't have any empty # bags right now.

Whenever I've had to weigh an ounce out of a hop union bag, for splitting or whatever the reason, it always comes out to 1.05 oz for me. I don't split ounce bags in half often, but every time I have and weighed them out they always seem to come out 1.05oz.

I weighed out the lb of simcoe in 2 oz increments then put in foodsaver bags. I haven't split any of the others up but the simcoe was spot on at 16 oz of hops. I didn't weigh the empty bag. The 1 oz bags may not add enough weight to my scale as it only goes to the 0.1 oz increment so theoretically there could be 0.95 oz of hops and the bag weigh 0.05 oz or 1oz of hops and the bag weigh 0.04 and still show1.0 oz on my scales.

I just had this problem yesterday. Did a double brew day with 6 oz of hops for both. 5 of the bags were perfectly 1oz, the 6th was .87 oz. I end up weighing out my hops a lot just to be sure and I've seen Hop Union +/- .05 oz, but never as much as -.13oz

Back