Is Cold crashing then warming bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I wanted to cold crash.Its supposed to be around 5 to 15 deg the next couple of days.Can I bring my bucket outside till its just about to turn to ice,bring inside and do the same thing the next day for a fast crash.

Will a cold/warm/cold cycle have any negative effect (skunked)on the beer?

Why do you need an airlock/tinfoil on the bucket?Will it implode without it.Im cold conditioning in my sealed keg now with no issues. Curius

Fermintation is finished,in secondary.I have no empty fridge so its doing this or having down time after I kick this keg, refilling it, and waiting a few days to crash in kegorator

Skunking only happens with light exposure. So keep the UV off the beer.

The warm/cold cycle is probably not the best. If you do it then I'd bring it in a few degrees above ice formation. Also, maybe insulate it and leave it out all night?

I had an Eis Bock this year from a friend that he had brewed it years ago. It had sat in his unconditioned garage for many years. Warm/Hot summers and cold frozen Wisconsin winters. It was great and one of the best aged beers I've had from a homebrewer.

To be honest I now think that heating and cooling of a beer does nothing negative. It may hinder the "aging" of a beer by letting it sit in your fridge for years.

Remember most commercial breweries pasteurize (heat) their bottles before the ship them out.

Cold crashing helps clear the beer as stuff drops out. Moving it will kick up stuff from the bottom. Temp change not the issue.

Here is a scenario that is warming/cooling is okay. I crashed my fermemter for a day and then dropped the yeast and then warmed it back up to 70 for dry hopping for 4-days. And then I'll crash it and put it under co2 pressure so it is partially carbonated when it hits my carbonation/cold storage/lagering space.

It's fine. Every commercial beer you've ever had went though cool/warm/cool when it went from the brewery to the warehouse to the railyard to the boxcar to the truck to the distributor to the other truck to the wholesaler to yet another truck to the liquor store to your fridge. Cool/warm/cool has very little, if any, effect.

The only bad thing would be if you were to cold crash it to settle the yeast then shake it up.

I'd say it is fine. If you cold crash and you are bottling at some point the temp needs to come up to allow the dormant yeast to do their carbonation thing. Those beer you buy in the store, think of all the temp changes they went thru in their journey...

Back