Is Chinook good for hop bursting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas217

Reaction score
I just discovered the identity of the hops growing in my yard. They are Chinook and I will end up with a very large amount of them. I have never used Chinook before. Are they good for hops bursting in a single hop IPA?

Here is a recipe I came up with. Will it work?

Chinook Hops Burst IPA

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 95.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)

0.25 oz Chinook 13.00 % Boil 60.0 min 9.4 IBUs
1 oz Chinook 13.00 % Boil 10.0 min 13.7 IBUs
1 oz Chinook 13.00 % Boil 5.0 min 7.5 IBUs
2.5 oz Chinook 13.00 % whirlpool at 185 degrees for 20 min 28.6 IBUs
2 oz Chinook 13.00 % Dry Hop for 10 days

Mash at 149 for 90 minutes
Ferment with US05 at 65 degrees
OG 1.057
FG 1.014
ABV 5.6 %
IBUs 59.2

Edit this is a 5 gallon batch

Heck yes! Brew it. I love Chinook. Jealous! Still hoping my first year Chinook gives me anything.

I did a huge Black IIPA (prefer to call it a double American Dark Ale, anyhow) with fresh hopped Chinook bittering, late hop, flameout, dry hop.

Actually, I am drinking one right now.

Let's say I definitely recognize and appreciate Chinook now.

It is a great way to learn a hop, but I think Chinook is a best early - mid hop, with more citrusy hops to balance out the piney, spicy Chinook.

If you're planning on using them fresh, aren't you supposed to use a much larger amount of hops? I thought I read 5x or something. Haven't gotten to try it yet myself. Agreed on the citrus with Chinook. Citra is awesome with it, or Galaxy. I still think a SMaSH would be awesome and informative, though.

If you're planning on using them fresh, aren't you supposed to use a much larger amount of hops? I thought I read 5x or something. Haven't gotten to try it yet myself. Agreed on the citrus with Chinook. Citra is awesome with it, or Galaxy. I still think a SMaSH would be awesome and informative, though.

yes, 5-6x, I used about a pound for 5G. Very chinookey.

Cyclman when you used the pound of wet Chinook how grassy did it taste? I've read a few comments about grassy flavor when using wet hops. I'm concerned that using such a large amount of wet hops as late additions would make it very grassy. I've found some great resources on this site that show when it is the best time to pick them so I'll make sure they are fully ripe.

I agree with Cyclman. Chinook are great but, I don't know about by themselves.

Still you have to love using your own hops. How'd you find out what they were? Mine are all mystery hops. They seem high AA and I get lemon, mint, pine, and grass off of them. They seem good to me so I am throwing them in my next batch.

I'd be careful using your own hops for bittering -- I totally ruined a batch that way when they didn't provide any IBUs at all. Dunno if I harvested too early or what...

Before I brew with these hops I'm going to make a hop tea to try and gauge the bitterness and make a final determination on what variety they are.

Back