is aromatic malt very sweet? or have i made a mistake somewhere else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinworswick

Reaction score
i read that it was malty but i didn't think that meant sweet...
i recently brewed a belgian enkel,its only been in the bottle for 2 weeks but i couldn't resist and tried one last night, its a nice beer but its particularly sweet.

i used-

75% pils
15% vienna
5% carapils
5% aromatic

hopped to 35 ibu

belgian abbey 1762

mashed at 149

my first thoughts were that fermentation had stalled and i misread the refractometer and bottled early, i double checked with the hydrometer and refractometer and it had definately finished at 1.009 og was 1.045.

i then wondered about hopping rates and wondered if i just didn't use enough to balance out the sweetness of the malts

any thoughts?

Certainly doesn't sound like it would be too sweet. Was carbonation complete? it may just be that you still have some priming sugar in there, it doesn't take much sucrose/glucose to make a beer taste sweet.

Give it some more time. I recently brewed an amber that started out malty but after 2-4 more weeks it's on the hopy side.

Back