Is all RO water the same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
IF I'm using RO spring water do I need to treat it or does the RO process make it highly acceptable?

Yes, you'll want to add calcium to it, and perhaps some acid/acid malt. See the primer in the stickies of this section of the forum for a good starting point when using RO.

afr0byte said:
Yes, you'll want to add calcium to it, and perhaps some acid/acid malt. See the primer in the stickies of this section of the forum for a good starting point when using RO.

Thanks. I've read the stickie but didn't know what kind of water the baseline was built off of.

RO water quality varies slightly based on the membrane used and the source water quality, but for all intents and purposes, it is nearly ion-free. You can consider it ion-free water, but it does have teeny concentrations of many ions. Bru'n Water includes a representative water profile from a RO unit.

Latest posts

Back