Is adding sugar a little late a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyWeiser

Reaction score
I started my second batch last friday using Cooper's DIY brew kits (condensed wort), which I guess is even easier than extract brewing since I dont' have to boil anything/use a wort chiller.

Batch #2:
I started off with Thomas Cooper's Select Wheat Beer kit can
+ 23 liters of water
+ karo light syrup (3/4 cup)
+ white sugar (1 tbs)

I used Karo syrup mainly because I have no malt extract yet. It wasn't until day 4 that I realize my measurement for the sugars was way low. I had refered to a book i have, and it said priming sugar = 3/4 cup. Unfotunately, it was four days in that I realized priming is what you add when bottling. So I boiled a little water and mixed in 2 tbs white sugar and the rest of my Karo light bottle (totaling 2 cups corn syrup & 3 tbs white sugar). Fermentation foam was visable when I added the second course of sugars.

I should probably say too that the yeast was added (dry and not rehydrated as per Cooper's diy instructions) while it was still hot (about 34 celsius), and then I cooled it down with ice cubes.

Today is day 6 and the foam just dissapated today/last night. It's been at 20-22 celsius the entire time.

The beer tastes fine right now. Any predictions on what can occur by adding too little sugar to start with and then supplementing with a second dose while still in the first fermentation? Any suggestions and feedback is welcome! :rockin:

You won't have any problems at all. In fact, in some higher gravity beers, particularly Belgians, additional sugars are added a few days to a week into fermentation. So you are good! Enjoy.

Back