Is a JC temp device necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg17

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research on here and have not found a thread addressing the need for a JC temp control if using in a refrigerator. Since optimal temps for fermenting ales is approx 65-70 degrees, is a device needed on a standard compact fridge? And yes, I ask because I'm cheap :p

From what I've seen most thermostats on refrigerators don't specify a temperature - they just say cold - colder - coldest or something of that nature. If you were to take some temp readings on various settings and notate them you could probably get away without one providing the data you gather shows that you can maintain the desired temp.
All that being said - I use a JC with a chest freezer and it works great. A well spent $60.00 in my case.

If you are fermenting ales, they don't need to be in a refrigerator at all. They can sit out... If you are fermenting lagers, that's a different story. From what I have heard and read, not necessary but useful. You just have to be careful that lagers don't freeze.

If you are fermenting ales, they don't need to be in a refrigerator at all.

Might want to specify that they don't NEED to be in a refrigerator, but having a temperature controlled fermentation will increase the quality of your beer immensely.

Back