Is 7# hopper really 7#- milling now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Is the 7# hopper exact or close to 7# is my question

(waiting to hear back before continuing)
Sounds like a dumb question and probably is BUT.
Im in the middle of milling as I write this.I just got a cereal killer with a 7# hopper.I weighed my 50# bag on a "people scale" and took out until I reached 36# left in the bag.(14# grain bill)I just ran 2 full 7# hoppers (full) through the mill and probably have one more to go.That would be 21#s. Im going to assume a house scale is off and 2 7# hoppers is where I need to be or at least close.Of all the things in my build the scale is something I overlooked...And now Im in the middle of milling..UHH

The hopper is a set volume containment item, where grains may weigh more or less for the same volume depending on moisture and the like. So don't rely on that for any sort of accurate gauge of weight.

My Barley Crusher has a 7# hopper, most I can fit in it typically has been 6#. But it'd totally depend on the grain itself.

Agreed. I have the cereal killer and typically do not exceed 6# in it at a time, just because I don't want to top off. I think you're likely short assuming a full load, to the rim, is 7#

ok so Ill go 2 hoppers to the rim and Eyeball 2# more. The thing is,I ran 2 FULL hoppers and still have one more hopper left in my weigh bucket.So My weigh scale is way off.

You're just guessing at something that is pretty critical.
It is,but again in my entire build..I forgot the scale and started milling according to my house scale.Tomorrow is brew day.It's a simple(I hope) centennial blonde recipe I found here.Ill have a real scale come next brew day. Worst case my first all grain is trial and error.

Umm... maybe shoot for a higher OG and top up water to match your estimated? I guess thats the very round about way of measuring grain... lol.

Get one of these and stop messing around with weighing your grain. Consistency and accuracy are important and an accurate and "cheap" scale can help with both. I picked mine up for $19.94, so put it on a wish list and wait for the price to drop. I really like the battery option so I can take the scale wherever I need it.

My cereal killer holds just about 7lbs of grain, so fairly accurately advertised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get one of these and stop messing around with weighing your grain. Consistency and accuracy are important and an accurate and "cheap" scale can help with both. I picked mine up for $19.94, so put it on a wish list and wait for the price to drop. I really like the battery option so I can take the scale wherever I need it.

My cereal killer holds just about 7lbs of grain, so fairly accurately advertised.

Wow, that thing goes to 75lbs? Would a regular 5 gal bucket sit firmly on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many person scales are not that precise, but quite a few actually are. You just don't know where yours falls in that range.
They are least precise in the low and top range, typically. Stand on it, weight yourself with an empty bucket, then weigh again with your milled grain in that bucket. The difference will be close enough to the actual weight of the grain, I'd say within a pound. Close enough for a 10 gallon brew.

Good luck tomorrow, with the not so exact science of brewing beer.

Wow, that thing goes to 75lbs? Would a regular 5 gal bucket sit firmly on it?

No problem with a 5 gal bucket. That's exactly what I use and I haven't had an issue. You do need to position in the bucket so you can see the screen on the scale, but it is more than "firm". I thought it was a heck of a deal when I purchased the scale. Even at the current Amazon sale price I'd say it's a good deal.

Latest posts

Back