IRS- Wanting some chocolate flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula2fast

Reaction score
I am making a clone of Stone's IRS from the BYO magazine where they gave the recipe. I want it to have a bit more chocolate flavor but also a sweeter chocolate flavor, almost like a milk chocolate. I added 1/2lb of chocolate malt to the grain bill, but that is not going to add the sweet chocolate flavoring. I was thinking of putting some cocoa powder in the boil, maybe a 1/2 cup, and then letting it sit on 4oz of nibs for about 6-8 months.

Any suggestions or am I going in the right direction?

Sounds like you might want some lactose, though with a RIS there's probably going to be plenty of residual sweetness already. You could always leave the grain bill as is, add your cocoa powder or nibs, and mash a bit higher? Maybe post up the recipe.

Lactose is not very sweet. It is only 20% as sweet as table sugar. Lighter (20-60L) crystal malts are sweet. Using a ton of grain, and thus having a lot of residual sugars, will sweeten your beer. A low-attenuating yeast will sweeten your beer. A very sparing addition of baking soda in the mash will tame the harshness of dark roasted malts, which will allow for more of the chocolate flavors to come through. If none of these work, you could try artificial sweeteners; Splenda is 30 times as sweet as Lactose.

Here is my current recipe:

17lbs 2 Row Brewers Malt
2lbs Cara-amber
1.25lbs Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Black Malt
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
1.3 oz warrior hops (90 min)
Wyeast London Ale III (1318)

90 min boil
O.G.-1.105
10.52% ABV
74IBU

I'd up the chocolate malt at the expense of the roasted barley. You could also try chocolate rye if you want something that's a little smoother.

Thats a good idea...I may try that. Maybe back down to 1 lb of roasted barley and up to one pound of chocolate malt.

What are your thoughts on the cocoa powder in the boil or secondary w/nibs? I am not sure if the nibs will give it the chocolate flavor I am looking for or if they will be a bit bitter.

Back