Irrational Fear of Crystal Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
The title says it all. I used crystal 60L once in a beer that didn't turn out well (for other reasons). Since then, I've made plenty of successful beers, none of which have crystal. I'm thinking about an American Brown for this fall, and putting crystal malt into the calculator is physically hurting me. I know that "use less crystal" is a common chorus, but I think maybe I've taken this too far. Someone set me straight!

You should study the specifics on "use less crystal" it's almost entire cordoned to the PA/IPA/DIPA beers. Too much crystal detracts from the hops. These beers also traditionally are on the dry side. There's something between "use less" btw, and "one grain of crystal is sure to ruin your beer". Use the right grain for the style. Nothing wrong with crystal used in the right amounts as per style and preferences.

Based on your thread title, the first sentence which merely "associates" crystal with a beer that you admitted didn't turn out for other reasons, and the "putting crystal malt into the calculator is physically hurting me"....yeah. You need to step back from the OCD a bit Sheldon. ;)

Post the recipe. Whats the og and the % crystal? Sometimes its needed for some body, like in a mild, or to sweeten it a bit in a brown/porter/stout etc

i've done that numerous times with brewing ingredients... had a terrible beer once using cascade only as the hop... was straight up disgusting. i've never used it again (although it's easy, 'cuz i can't find any... haha)
With that being said, there are certain styles where they really need to be there... Browns, milk stouts, most porters, red ales, etc... list goes on, Read on the flavors of each though, C10 will give a slight sweet flavor that wouldn't be considered "caramel/toffee" but yet 120 screams caramel...
If you do have a fear of them, make a light pale ale, one that you're familiar with and toss in like 5% of like c10 or c20. Even if you don't like crystal malts much, it'll still be drinkable and add a bit of extra depth.
However, if it's an IPA or IIPA and i want a bit of sweetness, i'll add in honey malt or mash higher.

Post the recipe. Whats the og and the % crystal? Sometimes its needed for some body, like in a mild, or to sweeten it a bit in a brown/porter/stout etc

I don't have a recipe this far along, but I can post one once I get there.

i've done that numerous times with brewing ingredients... had a terrible beer once using cascade only as the hop... was straight up disgusting. i've never used it again (although it's easy, 'cuz i can't find any... haha)

I actually avoid Cascade too. It's not that I don't like Cascade, but it's really really common and I can pick it out from a beer right away. For me, it's more fun, and maybe a little better, to use something else.

I guess the other issue is that I like malty, but not so much sweet. So, I've had really good luck using mostly base malt, controlling mash temperature, and then adding aromatic and/or victory to add malt depth. Then again, I've been making APAs and IPAs of late, and I haven't needed to resort to crystal.

Based on your thread title, the first sentence which merely "associates" crystal with a beer that you admitted didn't turn out for other reasons, and the "putting crystal malt into the calculator is physically hurting me"....yeah. You need to step back from the OCD a bit Sheldon. ;)

That's why I'm here... Hi, my name is Bob, and I have a problem.

Little bit of crystal can give you some nice color and body without making it sweet... Your fear is very irrational. I see your cry for help to be set street, so I'll do it for you very, very simply.... you made ONE bad beer with crystal malt. The brewers on this board have collectively made tens of thousands of great beers with it.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Use the crytal. Seriously it's an awesome grain. Crystal 40 is my favorite so far.

I wouldn't call it totally irrational. It's similar to Pavlov's dogs. You're associating crystal malt with a bad experience. You've been conditioned to avoid it.

On to what's more important though. Who says you need crystal malt in a brown ale? I've had some great brown ales with Marris Otter, Victory/Biscuit, and Chocolate malt. Mash at a higher temperature and you'll have some delicious malty sweetness. There's no need for crystal if you don't want it, not that I have anything against it.

Little bit of crystal can give you some nice color and body without making it sweet... Your fear is very irrational. I see your cry for help to be set street, so I'll do it for you very, very simply.... you made ONE bad beer with crystal malt. The brewers on this board have collectively made tens of thousands of great beers with it.

Okay... Okay... Deep breathing exercises:eek:

On to what's more important though. Who says you need crystal malt in a brown ale? I've had some great brown ales with Marris Otter, Victory/Biscuit, and Chocolate malt. Mash at a higher temperature and you'll have some delicious malty sweetness. There's no need for crystal if you don't want it, not that I have anything against it.

This was actually my next question. While I realize crystal is a common, if not ubiquitous, ingredient in brown ales, can you get away with not using it?

You can definitely get away without using Crystal malt in a brown ale. I got some of my recipes mixed up right now and don't have the exact one I used, but my last brown ale was roughly 85% Marris Otter, 10% Victory, and 5% Chocolate malt. I mashed at 154F for 60 mins, and fermented with US-05 at around 65F. IBU was around 25 with hop additions at 60, 30, and 15 mins. I really enjoyed it.

This was actually my next question. While I realize crystal is a common, if not ubiquitous, ingredient in brown ales, can you get away with not using it?

Of course you can.

But you may want to use some, if you're making a Southern English brown.

Crystal malt is a great ingredient in some beer styles. Some beers are great with 0 crystal, while some styles (like hoppy American red) are great with up to 15% crystal.

Think of crystal malt like salt- ubiquitous perhaps, but really an important ingredient in seasoning food to take it from a little bland to awesome. Some foods don't need salt, but most are better with a little bit. But not too much!

That's how crystal malt is- some beers don't need a bit, but some beers get more body, richness, and depth from a little bit.

Yes definitely... but I really think you should nip this in the bud. Make yourself a DELICIOUS Brown with Crystal in it... it's not worth limiting yourself so much as a brewer. If there was an argument to be made that Crystal causes problems/off flavors, I could understand. If the argument was that you feel like squeezing your steeping grain bag gets more out of it and doesn't extract tannins, then I could understand some conflict since it's a highly debatable subject. But with something like this, you know that it's just a weird thing in your mind and that everyone else is reaping the benefits of crystal. If you think this is going to be a problem, make two batches of identical wort for a style that typically benefits from a little Crystal and use crystal in one and don't in the other. I bet once you see the difference, you'll be convinced!

Look on the bright side... at least it's Crystal you are afraid and not Barley - otherwise you'd have to change your name ;)

There are some who don't care for the flavor profiles that the 'higher crystals' will give. If you are one, then perhaps use C40, or C20. Definitely keep it at 10% or below and the contributions will be subtle.
Here's another thought for a brown ale- brown malt. I've used it in Porters where it was a traditional malt and really liked the results. I also used some in a Scottish ale and a Nut brown last fall and was happy with the results.

I don't have a recipe this far along, but I can post one once I get there.

I actually avoid Cascade too. It's not that I don't like Cascade, but it's really really common and I can pick it out from a beer right away. For me, it's more fun, and maybe a little better, to use something else.

I guess the other issue is that I like malty, but not so much sweet. So, I've had really good luck using mostly base malt, controlling mash temperature, and then adding aromatic and/or victory to add malt depth. Then again, I've been making APAs and IPAs of late, and I haven't needed to resort to crystal.

That's why I'm here... Hi, my name is Bob, and I have a problem.

Post your recipe. You have it, I guarantee you have a recipe this far along if you brewed a beer with a malt that you say you do not like. What grain when into your beer? That is your recipe.

I think there is something else here and I don't know how you pin-pointed just crystal. I realize you made other beers without it and they were great but could it be that the recipe itself sucked and the addition of crystal is just a fluke?

You can brew without it for sure but I am not even sure I could replace crystal entirely in all of my recipes. It's a pretty important ingredient for me.

OH and if you want some more reinforcement to feel better about using it, ask yourself this question: How many commercial beers have you had that you've disliked? How many do you think you've enjoyed that have had crystal malt?

Both are solid pieces of advice. I'll probably ease in and use some munich and a pound (~7.5%) of 60L.

Yooper, I keep reminding myself that your IPA and APA recipes all (or mostly all?) use at least some crystal, and that there's no real reason to avoid it. I've done great without it, but there isn't a reason for the door to be shut.

J187, I'll probably tip-toe into it to prove to myself it works (hence ~1lb). With an early success, I'll try inching that number upward. I probably won't brew this until September, so I have some time to adjust.

Post your recipe. You have it, I guarantee you have a recipe this far along if you brewed a beer with a malt that you say you do not like. What grain when into your beer? That is your recipe.

I think there is something else here and I don't know how you pin-pointed just crystal. I realize you made other beers without it and they were great but could it be that the recipe itself sucked and the addition of crystal is just a fluke?

Oh, I know the crystal wasn't at fault in the other recipe. It was my second batch, and I way underpitched. Incidentally, that was also the last time I went without a starter. I could dig that recipe up, but there isn't a debate to have - I mucked it up all by myself.

You can brew without it for sure but I am not even sure I could replace crystal entirely in all of my recipes. It's a pretty important ingredient for me.

That's interesting. Like I said, I've done well without it, so I'm probably not going to do a 180 and start using it a lot, but I think it would be hard to go without in certain styles. But I think this also illustrates a difference in preference and technique between brewers.

I can post the recipe I'm working on in a moment.

O.G. 1.065
F.G. 1.015
21.68 SRM
40.3 IBU
6.49% A.B.V.
75% efficiency
5.5gal batch

8# 2-row
2# Munich 10l
1# Crystal 60l
1# Victory
1# Rolled Oats (toasted)(maybe 1/2#? haven't decided)
4oz Chocolate Malt (debittered)
2oz Black Patent

1oz Fuggles FWH
1oz EKG 30min
1oz Fuggles 15min
1oz Chinook 5min
1oz EKG dryhop (whole/leaf)

Irish Moss 15min
WLP001, w/starter

It would be easy to pull more out of Munich and put into one or more crystal malts.

Looks fine, black patent sounds a bit strange to my eyes but it's only 2 oz. The crystals at 7.5% so I wouldn't worry about it. Switch it out for a little lighter crystal if you want, maybe 40L. Otherwise stop worrying about it.

"But, but crystal murdered my entire family!" <-- If I had a nickle for every time I head that one....

In all seriousness, crystal is great as long as you use it right.

Don't fear the crystal. Find an established, popular recipe that uses crystal, brew it, and get over it. ;)

I agree that if you don't like 60L, then try 40L.

I go even a little less in one of my IPA grain bills that uses 1/2lb 40L and 1/2lb 20L (10% of bill I think). I like to use this when I'm doing more fruity IPAs, to add just a little sweetness to make it a little more of a sweet fruit flavor.

Plus yes, it can make for some beautiful color, a fiery orange/red in my bill.

Obviously a lot depends on how it's going to compliment the other flavors, and of course how much and what lovibond you use.

...those responsible for the subtitles have been sacked.......

"A (crystal malt) once bit my sister........

(Crystal malt) bites can be very nasty!!!"

The title says it all. I used crystal 60L once in a beer that didn't turn out well (for other reasons). Since then, I've made plenty of successful beers, none of which have crystal. I'm thinking about an American Brown for this fall, and putting crystal malt into the calculator is physically hurting me. I know that "use less crystal" is a common chorus, but I think maybe I've taken this too far. Someone set me straight!

Get (6) 1qt mason jars and use 95g of 2-row and 5g of a crystal in each, giving you a 5% crystal grain bill for 6 different crystal grains. Now add 170F water to each up to the ring (about the thread start) of each jar and loosely put the lid on. Let this sit for an hour. You now have 6 nano-mashes of approx. 1.055 @ about 155F mash temp.

Taste them all and get a feel for what each crystal does, that should alleviate future fears :)

"The (crystal malt) from the black lagoon."

Get (6) 1qt mason jars and use 95g of 2-row and 5g of a crystal in each, giving you a 5% crystal grain bill for 6 different crystal grains. Now add 170F water to each up to the ring (about the thread start) of each jar and loosely put the lid on. Let this sit for an hour. You now have 6 nano-mashes of approx. 1.055 @ about 155F mash temp.

Taste them all and get a feel for what each crystal does, that should alleviate future fears :)

That's a really good idea.

I use crystal in 90% of my beers........

90% of your beers suck. Coincidence?

Crystal. Not even once.

r2d2-meth-not-even-once.jpg

Both are solid pieces of advice. I'll probably ease in and use some munich and a pound (~7.5%) of 60L.

Yooper, I keep reminding myself that your IPA and APA recipes all (or mostly all?) use at least some crystal, and that there's no real reason to avoid it. I've done great without it, but there isn't a reason for the door to be shut.

J187, I'll probably tip-toe into it to prove to myself it works (hence ~1lb). With an early success, I'll try inching that number upward. I probably won't brew this until September, so I have some time to adjust.

Some of my APAs and IPAs have no crystal malt at all, but others have 7-10%. It depends on the recipe, and the hopping.

A great American amber (red) may have 15% crystal, in 'layers' of crystal like 1.25 pounds of crystal 20L and .50 pound of 80L, and as long as it's bittered and hopped appropriately, it is a balanced and tasty beer. Some other beer styles, like cream ale may have none.

I likened crystal malt to salt earlier- but how about we compare it to onions? I don't put onions in my cherry pie, but I do put it in many things from meatloaf to chip dip. Onions are awesome, and they have a myriad of uses from tiny amounts in the chip dip to huge amounts in French onion soup. But sometimes, you don't want onions at all because you're making ice cream sundaes!

The same is true with crystal malts. Pilsners tend to have no crystal at all, except for some carapils (dextrin malt) which is technically a crystal malt. An American amber may have 10-15% crystal malt. And other beer styles may have 0-12% too, depending on the goals of the beer.

I think some people tend to demonize crystal malt because it's one of those grains that can be steeped so extract brewers can use it and it's used more often than any other specialty grain. Because of that, some people may consider it a crutch, but it's not.

Crystal malts enhance body and mouthfeel, and the lightest ones can bring a tiny bit of fullness to the beer without being cloying. Crystal 10L is nice in lighter beers, while 120L or special b has a definite 'toffee' or 'raisin' flavor in it. One of my friends owns a nano brewery, and his big selling brown has special b in it. It's great, but not sweet.

Since crystal comes in many flavors/colors, from carapils to caramel 20L to special b (120L+), by eliminating it from recipes is to limit yourself to just a few styles of beer.

I love other grains, too- victory malt, biscuit malt, amber malt, etc- for specialty grains. But by eliminating crystal malt from beer styles where it fits perfectly is limiting yourself from branching out into another dimension of flavors.

Looks fine, black patent sounds a bit strange to my eyes but it's only 2 oz. The crystals at 7.5% so I wouldn't worry about it. Switch it out for a little lighter crystal if you want, maybe 40L. Otherwise stop worrying about it.

Agree with the black patent and c40. Also, Chinook seems like an odd choice with English hops... But maybe you know something I don't.

I likened crystal malt to salt earlier- but how about we compare it to onions? I don't put onions in my cherry pie, but I do put it in many things from meatloaf to chip dip. Onions are awesome, and they have a myriad of uses from tiny amounts in the chip dip to huge amounts in French onion soup. But sometimes, you don't want onions at all because you're making ice cream sundaes!

Woah, woah... Don't be too hasty! Onions have a place in everything! Okay, so maybe I haven't tried onion ice-cream, but I think it's possible. Not that I would always want onion ice-cream...

Agree with the black patent and c40. Also, Chinook seems like an odd choice with English hops... But maybe you know something I don't.

I have black patent in my freezer, and I want some roasted character (but not much). I might just pitch it in with 15minutes left in the mash to keep it a little safer. I think Cascade would be a less surprising hop choice; I'm not sure anyone would bat an eye at that. But I like Chinook better.

...those responsible for the subtitles have been sacked.......

"A (crystal malt) once bit my sister........

(Crystal malt) bites can be very nasty!!!"

Because of this I had to reread the thread and replace every mention of crystal with llamas instead. It does makes for a funny read, and almost adds a little sense to his irrational fear of crystal (llamas).

Latest posts

Back