Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loudawg7777

Reaction score
Just finished my 3rd batch of Irish Stout. I wanted to thank everyone who helped me refine my process. I really got it down now. I steeped my grains instead of boiling them, and thanks to my buddy at the brew shop I got a way more active yeast (london ale) this time and better hops (kent goldings) instead of fuggles. The OG was 1.053 this time (.003 higher) and everything went way smoother than the previous two times. I also used Vodka in my airlock which isn't a big deal, but gives me a reason to have vodka around( not allowed per the wifey but ok as a brew tool). Took a sample taste before pitching and it was very clean and crisp as opposed to the last time (extra malty and thick). More updates to come

I just finished a kit that I got with my Groupon brewing equipment. This one started at a bunch lower than yours.. but, within range of the instructions. BUT, the bad part is it finished at 8-10 points HIGHER than the kit recommendations. This is the first time I have had a high FG.. pees me off. I'm waiting to get some o-rings for a new keg to transfer if from the secondary. We'll see how it tastes after about 3-4 weeks. Right now, it's a bit harsh in the back.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Ales are the easiest. I was told I didn't need a secondary and after about 5 days I was ready to keg. Gravity stayed the same so I did and I'm drinking it now!

Agreed.. I've brewed a number of them. This is my first stout. ABV is disappointing. Don't think the fermentation stalled. Rocked the FV enough to stir things a bit and warmed the beer to 70*.. dropped ONE point.. and that was it.

Damn that sucks. So far every batch started at about 1.050 OG and ended up 1.013FG. The ales seem to typically be stronger. What kind of yeast did you use? What temp was your wort when you pitched? Something happened for sure...

Muntons yeast.. came with the kit. No date but it fermented well for the first week. Pitched at 70*

I'm still confused by water chemistry.. Only thing I did this time that is unusual is I used 100% R/O water. Maybe should have diluted with tap water. Have some posts in the chemistry area hoping to make sense of the comments.

You're up on me then, I haven't got that far into it yet. What's the purpose of R/O water? Is it better?

No.. boiling serves a couple of purposes..

Sterilization of water.. this will be taken care of when you heat your water for mashing. If you don't feel that is hot enough.. it will be when you mash out and start your boil. :)

It can also be useful for reducing temporary hardness.. which you will not have in R/O water.

I'm no expert.. but, I think the above is reliable.

The one I did.. we'll see what the results ultimately are.. Been in the FV for a month. Transferring it to a keg today and will wait another two weeks.. at least.. to see how it is. Recipe is an extract kit.

6# Dark LME
8oz Rolled Oats.. Quaker works just fine
4oz Choc. Malt
4oz Roasted Barley
1oz Nugget Bitterness somewhere's around 12Alpha
1oz Willamette Aroma somewhere's around 5Alpha

OG should be about 45
FG should be about 12.. but, this batch didn't make it for me.. stalled or ??? Couldn't wake it up.. but, while it will be L O W ABV.. should taste fine.

Back