Irish Moss or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
In the print version of Palmers - How to brew (Appendix C, page 280), he states that, " more recent studies show that the proteins are similar enough (the ones that contribute to haze and head retention) that any attempt to eliminate haze-forming proteins via enzymes or non-specific protein absorbing additives like bentonite will also affect head retention and body of beer. What this means to you is that any suggestions you may receive about adding protein rest to your mash schedule or enzyme clarifiers to your wort are probably not good ones.
A few lines later he says, "For this reason, it is not recommended for use with malt extract/adjunct worts.

Any thoughts on this? I want to do a Budvar clone, extract with steeping grains and was told by the LHBS that irish moss should be added at the last :15 minutes of boil.

I do PB/PM BIAB,& the fine crush makes a lot of haze. So I got some super moss by five star to try & clear it up on the next batch. I'll see by memorial day or so if this is true. Maybe someone with more experience in using irish moss will chime in. Never had need of it till PM brewing...:confused:

I've used Irish Moss at 15 min. for approximately half of my extract brews with good success in clearing the beer and haven't noticed an impact on head retention. But then again, I haven't tried a back-to-back, with/without test to see if it makes a real difference.

Hopefully some of the more experienced extract brewers around here can chime in on the subject. I'm curious myself.

I use irish moss in every beer that I brew other than stouts and hefes. It will not effect head retention or any aspect of your beer. I dont have any haze problems but I also use a secondary in addition to the moss and its a great combo and completely removes any haze and provides for a great beer.

Thanks for all the responses. I want a clear beer, but was concerned about the comment by Palmer. Glad to hear actual experiences. Thanks again.

What I'm getting is chill haze. The beers go into the fridge clear,but the dissolved protiens haze up the beer bad from the fine crush of the grains.

What I'm getting is chill haze. The beers go into the fridge clear,but the dissolved protiens haze up the beer bad from the fine crush of the grains.

Best thing to keep chill haze from happening is make sure you cool quickly. When in VA, I never could get temps down fast enough, but after moving to CO, during all but the hottest couple of months of summer the ground water is cold enough that I stopped having much issue with chill haze.

When doing extract I would use ice, cooling really quickly, and still get chill haze.

Leaving the beer in the fridge for a few weeks will knock the chill haze out also if you have enough space to cool enough beer that you can keep some chilled for 2 weeks.

I just care so little about chill haze I don't bother. I've used moss and wirfloc before, but I would not spend the extra on it. You want it, go for it, it will not do any damage. I aim for flavor, mouthfeel, nose, color in that order.

Best thing to keep chill haze from happening is make sure you cool quickly. When in VA, I never could get temps down fast enough, but after moving to CO, during all but the hottest couple of months of summer the ground water is cold enough that I stopped having much issue with chill haze.

When doing extract I would use ice, cooling really quickly, and still get chill haze.

Leaving the beer in the fridge for a few weeks will knock the chill haze out also if you have enough space to cool enough beer that you can keep some chilled for 2 weeks.

I just care so little about chill haze I don't bother. I've used moss and wirfloc before, but I would not spend the extra on it. You want it, go for it, it will not do any damage. I aim for flavor, mouthfeel, nose, color in that order.

I do an ice bath,but for some reason,I'm no longer getting it chilled down to 70-75F anymore as quickly. The ice cold top off water helps a lot,but the wort must be chilled down to a preset point to get it down to 65F or so with top off. The beer can be in the fridge 3 weeks just to get most of the haze settled. Being a light lager hybrid,it should be clear. I nailed the color. But that haze does seem to change the flavor a tad. I've been working on the flavors in this beer for a couple batches now,& it still needs some tweaking. Flavors & all are important to any brewer,obviously. But clarity is a matter of pride as well. Presentaion is iportant to the drinker in their perception of quality.

Back