Irish Lager Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberdc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just won a 10 lb bag of BSG "Malting Company of Ireland Lager Base Malt" as a prize in a homebrewing competition. The online description says it is for "European-style lagers". I can't really find any other information about it.

My initial inclination was to make an Irish Red, but I normally use Marris-Otter for anything UK-related, so that seems like a no-go. I don't know what the flavor characteristics of this are, and Irish Red is an ale, although I don't see what difference that would make. I may end up making a Kilkenny Cream Ale/Boddingtons clone.

Has anyone used this or have a some additional info they can add regarding the flavor profile?

Thanks...

Never heard of that one but I've used UK lager malt which may have similar characteristics. The UK lager is really nice but I've always used it for lagers rather than ales. It's very well modified, light color, similar flavor to Euro pils but a little toastier. Making a pale ale with it would surely be OK but expect less richness, color and depth of flavor than MO. Would still be a hell of a lot better than domestic 2-row IMO.

Back