Irish Ale vs. 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel80

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a dry stout next weekend and I'm a little unsure of which way to go. The distinguishing characteristic of the Irish Ale yeast is that it doesn't kick so many esters. However, it doesn't attenuate as well. If the idea is to dry this beer out and 1056 is neutral AND attenuates better, wouldn't that be the better yeast for this beer? Am I missing something important here?

So I'm brewing a dry stout next weekend and I'm a little unsure of which way to go. The distinguishing characteristic of the Irish Ale yeast is that it doesn't kick so many esters. However, it doesn't attenuate as well. If the idea is to dry this beer out and 1056 is neutral AND attenuates better, wouldn't that be the better yeast for this beer? Am I missing something important here?

Just tried a young bottle of the Smooth Oatmeal Stout that I brewed with 1056 and it tastes amazing. I think 1056 is a great yeast for a dry stout.

Just tried a young bottle of the Smooth Oatmeal Stout that I brewed with 1056 and it tastes amazing. I think 1056 is a great yeast for a dry stout.

i agree, man. OP, if you're looking for a little better attenuation in your stout, go with the 1056. if you want a more english feel to it, try something like s-04/1098, it's a bit better of an attenuator and a bit more ester-y than 1084, but not much, and will give you that nice, english ale flavor without too many esters.

The distinguishing characteristic of the Irish Ale yeast is that it doesn't kick so many esters.

Wow, not my experience! Not only do I get a lot of diacetyl with that yeast, but also a lot of fruitiness, including pineapple esters.

Wow, not my experience! Not only do I get a lot of diacetyl with that yeast, but also a lot of fruitiness, including pineapple esters.

ya know, man, i've gotten a good amount of diacetyl with that yeast too. i've never noticed the pineapple, but i've only used it a couple times. maybe i'll have to use it again and do my best to limit the diacetyl so i can see what the esters actually taste like. the two beers i did with it were ok, but the diacetyl was a bit much, and definitely outshined any esters.

OP, unless you're going for an authentic Irish stout flavor, i'd go with the 1056, it's a nice clean yeast and attenuates nicely. it's great for pretty much any american style. there's some other good ones too, 1272, 1450, 1000 (only available through Midwest Supply), 1332 (but i think that's pretty much an english strain), even s-05, that's a great yeast for american styles of beer.

Back