IPAish Grain Bill what % cara

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
So I am going to make an IPA with stuff on hand. Really not so much an IPA as a % will be wheat. I have

4# Crisp Pale
3# Briess Wheat DME

This clocks in at 1.074 or so.

I was going to make a small batch as my 2 gallon better bottle is empty, and it doesnt like to be empty (really what fermenter does). With this bill, what percent cara would you use?

I will probably use Cali V yeast. I have a starter going, which is why I decided to brew with stuff on hand.

Hops, I have a great variety, not sure what to use or which way to go. I have all the Pale Ale, and IPA type hops, and then some on hand.

Been so used to making session type pales lately, just didnt know which way to go with this on the specialty grains.

My favorite AG IPA recipe uses 0 crystal malt, but 5% of a light 40L might be good, depending on your planned hops and IBUs.

If you go to about 70 IBUs, I'd probably go with 5% of a crystal malt.

I was thinking maybe like 8oz of Crisp 45L would round it out nice. Not sure what IBUs Ill be going for, but probably 60 plus, since I usually never do high IBU beers like that for a nice change of pace. not sure which I will use yet though.

I've used 1 lb of Crystal 10 in my first ever extract/specialty grains IPA and it turned out great. Since then I have liked using CaraMunich and/or CaraAroma. They are a darker color, so if you went with 4 oz. of each you would probably get an average of ~100 L. I like darker IPAs.... I would say that what you have (Crystal 45) would be great. Get a good clean bittering hop like Magnum and throw in about 2-4 oz. of Cascade/Amarillo/Galaxy/Centennial in towards the end. Split it between 15, 10, 5, and 0 mins.

Good luck!

Back