Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamsccn

Reaction score
thinking about brewing this today. any suggestions would be great.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.76 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.00 gal Distilled Water Water 1 -
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 66.7 %
2 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 22.2 %
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.3 IBUs
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 33.4 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 12.0 min Hop 8 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 8.0 min Hop 10 3.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 6.0 min Hop 11 2.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 12 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

needs way more late hops to be an IPA, 0.25oz late isnt gunna cut it. move your 45min adds to 15, your 30min adds to flameout, your 15min add to dry hop, and at minimum double the amounts (at least 6x for the dry hop). anything in between 20 and 60mins is kinda a waste as theres no aroma, and the gain from flavor is decreasing.

also, id ditch the carapils since you're already using 1lb of crystal

looking at that recipe, i'm wondering where the hop flavor and aroma are going to come from? your last addition is at 15 min. for an IPA, i'd us a bittering addition (around 50 IBU) to start the boil, then sizable additions from 10 min on out for flavor and aroma, it seems your recipe lacks those late additions that make an IPA an IPA. the rest looks good, and i like your hops, but i'd move those 45-15 min additions to the last 10 or 15 minutes to get some nice IPA flavor and aroma.

I used 3 different hops (Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade) in 3 additions starting at 20 minutes. Anything from 30 minutes on down is for flavor. I've done hop additions the last 5 minutes or so,& got little aroma fron them. At 20-25 minutes,plenty of flavor & a little bittering. A lot of bittering isn't going to happen at 20 minutes,charts be damned.
Anyway,the 3 hop additions were timed equally the last 25 minutes with 1.5oz each time. Columbus 1st @ 25 minutes,Nugget @ 16.50 minutes,Cascade @ 8:30 minutes. Added the rest of the DME & all the LME at flame out off the electric burner. Stir well to incorporate,let steep with the lid on 10-15 minutes. Chill down to pitch temp quickly.
I dry hopped for 1 week with the remaining .5oz of each hop after FG was reached. As soon as I poped the cap,the hop aroma hit you right between the eyes like a .220 swift. The flavors of grapefruit,orange & a bit of lemon with an earthiness & herbal under that. I gotta make more,it was so good.
I posted that recipe,& a few more that can be accessed through my profile for the curious.

I like the updated recipe! Two small things- ditch the 5.2 stabilizer. It won't do anything for your partial mash, and it will add a salty flavor that isn't good.

The second thing is that warrior hops are great, but they can be HARSH in late additions. I'd either lower them back to the .25 oz at the 8 & 12 minute marks, or just replace them in those late additions with a better flavored hop. Cascade, centennial, amarillo, ahtanum, citra, palisade, even simcoe- all would work better than the warrior in those late additions.

Otherwise, I think it looks great!

i just noticed your updates too. looks a lot more like an IPA. i've never used a lot of warrior late, so i can't speak for the harshness, but i see how it could overshadow the cascade. i'd take Yooper's advice on options to replace the warrior, as i hear she brews a mean IPA. i personally like simcoe and amarillo in IPAs. centennial/simcoe/amarillo is the hop bill for my next IPA which i'm brewing later this week.

Yeah,that line up does look better. But def replace the late warrior addition & dry hop one. Maybe Nugget or Cytra?

Yeah,that line up does look better. But def replace the late warrior addition & dry hop one. Maybe Nugget or Cytra?

citra's real nice. mellow for a higher AA hop, goes great with cascade too. i've been using citra a lot recently. just kegged a batch of pale ale that i used citra and cascade in the finish. citra's one of those hops you either love or hate, i'm in the former group.

Just my 2 cents, dry hop with 2-2.25 oz instead of 3..also replace the Warrior and do Centennial/cascade..I would do an oz of each.. Or Centennial and Amarillo Would be awesome to..

Best of luck, cheers!!

BrewMU said:
Why not use a few more #s of grain and drop the extract?

I would love to all grain but all I am set up for now is BIAB.. tried 16lbs once and it was a pain and my efficiency was horrible.

Thanks for all the tips I like Amarillo so maybe i will replace the late warrior additions with amarillo and palisade.

I would like to brew this too. I am never sure if the gallon size is UK or US, is there a standard on this forum.

Back