IPA w/Nelson Sauvin, Citra, and Cascade hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchomebrew

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew an IPA tomorrow. This one will be a 10 gal. batch featuring nelson sauvin and citra hops with cascade playing a role in the background. For the hops, I'll be using 16oz. of Nelson Sauvin, 9oz. of citra, and 4oz. of cascade.

Here's what I'm looking at doing:

OG: 1.064 - FG: 1.006
Color: 3.7SRM 7.62% ABV
IBU between 65 and 70 IBU

72% 2 Row malt (Rahr)
20% White Wheat malt (Rahr)
4% Carapils (Briess)
4% Dextrose
mash @ 150F for 90m
- boil 90min
>Hop extract @ 90min
>Nelson/citra mix @ 20min
>Nelson/citra/cascade mix @ flameout
>Nelson/citra/cascade mix @ whirlpool
--> Wyeast 1056 yeast
--> Dry hop 5 days w/Nelson/Citra/cascade mix
--> Second dry hop for 3 days w/Nelson/Citra/cascade mix
- rack to keg and add gelatin finings and serve when carbed

Awexome. Consider either Great Western Northwest Pale or Cargill Special Pale as the base malt next time. Trust me.

Should be a good IPA. I just did an IPA with NS, Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy. Served it at a party and was gone in 2 hours. Had comments it was the best, smoothest IPA they've had. I used 2 oz of NS at FWH, which I discovered gave a smooth bitterness because of the relatively low cohumulone. I also brewed a Saison with NS, and was awesome. Like that hop…

brewing and mash pH came out perfect at 5.4. Experimenting with a very high sulfate level (300ppm) for this one. Normally I stay under this around 200/240. Cl/So4 ratio is going to be right at about 5.6 per BruNwater. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406489947.421117.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All of these headed to the kettle today. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406490769.033405.jpg

Transferred to the secondary yesterday and started dry hop round 1.

Gravity was at 1.012. I was hoping to get it below 1.010 but not sure I can. I have cranked the heat to 72f for dry hopping and hope that might help the gravity drop a few points as well.

Checked gravity today and now down to 1.009. Added in dry hop 2 and will let this sit at 72f till Friday. Will cold crash for 3 days and then keg. Should be mid way through next week.

This looks like my kind of IPA. I like everything about your recipe. One question, why all the wheat?

I added a pound of oats to one of my IPAs as a mouthfeel experiment in place of the dextrin.

What do you think of the hop shot, btw?

This is the 3rd time (twice with IPAs and once with a DIPA) I've used hop shot extract. I won't be going back to pellet hop bittering unless I have no choice and extract isn't available. I've got about 10ml left so I'll probably do another IPA and then will likely be ordering a big can of hop extract and making my own 5ml syringes out of it. Great stuff. Really clean and smooth bittering. The major difference I pick out is that the bittering flavor does not comes across as grassy or vegetal. I feel like it makes the IPA have a crisp bitterness. That's the best way I can describe it.

This looks like my kind of IPA. I like everything about your recipe. One question, why all the wheat?

I added a pound of oats to one of my IPAs as a mouthfeel experiment in place of the dextrin.

I believe it helps with head retention and mouthfeel. Carapils does some of that also, but the wheat malt provides a depth of flavor without being too caramely or sweet. For a fruity/citrusy IPA profile like this one, I wanted the beer to be lighter colored with a crispness/dryness to it and adding crystal malts would work against that.

Kegged today. Should have some tasting notes and photos this coming weekend. Amazing aroma and flavor on the hydro sample. Very excited for this !

FG before I kegged came out at 1.009 on on batch and 1.010 on the other. No sure why there was variance between the two. I was really hoping the corn sugar would have got this down to the 1.006, especially considering I fermented this around 65F initially and ramped to 70f and then secondary at 72f before cold crashing...... but this is still good.

Should have some tasting notes and photos this coming weekend.

Well?

I'm wondering how much the Nelson Sauvin came through. I have a bunch and I'm trying to think outside the box in their use.

****Just realized that this is my 1000th post.

Well?

I'm wondering how much the Nelson Sauvin came through. I have a bunch and I'm trying to think outside the box in their use.

****Just realized that this is my 1000th post.

The Nelson hops came through but really intermingled well. If used the same ratios of Nelson to other high AA hops at your choosing that I have noted with citra and cascade. I bet simcoe in place of citra and Amarillo in place of cascade would be a nice mix. Good luck !

Back