IPA Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratotankard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here's my situation...
The club I belong to is having a brew day at a local brewpub. The brewpub is providing us with their "base pale wort." I think it's made with just 2-row, but I don't have any idea what kind of gravity it has.

I have on hand 0.5# of Crystal 60, 1oz of Willamette [4.6%]pellets, and 2oz of Ammarillo [9.9%] plugs. I also have WLP005 British Ale Yeast.

Given all of this I was thinking of making something like Diamond Bear Brewery's Presidential IPA, though with a little less bitterness, but trying to keep lots of hop aromas and a nice coppery color.

Looking at other recipes here I've come up with this for a 5.5 gallon batch. I took some liberties with the 2 row amount since I don't really know.

13.0 lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
0.5 lbs Crystal 60L

0.5oz Amarillo 60 min
0.5oz Amarillo 45 min
0.5oz Amarillo 30 min
0.5oz Amarillo 15 min
0.5oz Willamette 10 min
0.5oz Willamette 0 min

Anticipated OG: 1.067
Anticipated FG: 1.015
Anticipated IBU: 50
ABV: 6.5%

I'm looking for any suggestions you might have. There are still a couple days until the Big Brew Day so I have time to get any additions from the LHBS.

Cheers :mug:

Terje

I would say that your bittering is a bit low if indeed the OG will be in the 1.067 range. I would shoot for more of one to one ratio on the IBU's and the OG. Actually I am not positive but 50 IBU may fall into the Pale Ale range.

Update to the brew day. The wort we were supplied was all 2-row malt and had a pre-boil OG of 1.045. As far as the hops go I only changed a couple of things. So here's what I've got.

5.5gal 2 row Wort 1.045
0.5lb Crystal 60L Steeped 30min@170F

1.0oz Amarillo 60min
0.5oz Amarillo 30min
0.5oz Amarillo 15min
0.5oz Willamette 10 min
0.5oz Willamette 5min

As a note, it was very dry and windy today and due to evaporation and a small oversight of leaving my spigot open on my fermenter I ended up with a total of 4gal in the bucket. Couple of questions... Should I just add some boiled water to top it up to 5 gal or leave it be and make a smaller batch. If I have to I can move it to may 5 gallon secondary and ferment it there. I'm not really sure how this will turn out, but it smells great right now. :) I'm assuming my OG will increase some from the preboil amount. I didn't have my hydrometer with me and I'm kinda waiting to see what folks suggest before I check.

Thanks

Terje

hopsgraph.jpg

this gives you an initial idea.

Finally got around to bottling this. I had moved to the secondary after 2 weeks and SG was 1.012 and holding.
Dry hopped for 3 weeks with 2oz of Willamette in the secondary. In the future I will put the hop pellets in a mesh bag and weight it down with some marbles. My hops stayed on the top for most of the 3 weeks. After a few swirls they would sink to the bottom but after an hour or so they would all float back to the top.
I took another gravity reading before I bottled and it was down to 1.008 (seems a little low but I'm not sure)
I primed 5 gallons with 5oz of dextrose boiled in 1 cup of water and racked to the bottling bucket/primary. (I really need to buy another bucket so I don't have to wait until a batch is bottled to start a new batch)
Got to try out my new wing capper since i finally saved enough Sam Adams and Hobgoblin glass to switch over from the 30oz PET behemoths that came with my first kit.
It has a nice orange/copper color with a bit of a haze. The smell is awesome hoppy/citrus and very in your face about it. The initial taste is good with powerful hop aromas and an almost fruity character. There's not a lot of malt taste to it and the finish is a nice smooth bitterness, not biting. I'm not sure it's quite bitter enough to be a real IPA but my calculator says it falls in the range. All around I'm very happy with this one. Definately my best effort so far. :D

Cheers :mug:

Terje

the 1.008 might explain the thinner body. what yeast did you use?

I used WLP005 British Ale yeast. I was a little surprised that it dropped another 4 points after it stopped for 3 days at 1.012 in the primary. Maybe my swirling to try and get my hops to sink reactivated the yeasties. Oh well, still tastes great! :mug:

Cheers!
Terje

Cracked one open to test tonight. Probably needs a bit more time in the bottle, but it tastes great! The hop aroma really hits you, but there isn't a ton of bitterness. (maybe I'm just becoming a hop head and don't notice it any more :D) There wasn't a lot head or carbonation, but that's most likely since I grabbed this one a little early.
I really wish this were more copper colored. As is it's a dark amber with just a touch of orange. More Crystal 60L perhaps next time?
Overall, a nice drinkable IPA just a bit low on the IBUs. Needs a bit of refining, but I'll be brewing this again for sure. :rockin:

Cheers

Terje

Back