IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defdans

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been out of the game for a bit and I want to make an IPA for my friend who's moving to town. Just making a 1 gallon batch.

Went to my local Homebrew store and he helped me cut down a recipe from 5 gallons to 1 gallon. However, when I put the grains together, i accidentally got way too much of one grain. Recipe said to get the following:

1.9 pounds of Rahr 2 row
3 oz Briess Caramel 60
1.6 oz of Weyermann Vienna

Problem is I'm almost positive i got 1.6 POUNDS of Weyermann. I milled them there, so they're all mixed together. My question is should I simply use exactly what I have and proceed as planned or only use 2/3rds of the grain?

I also picked up 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz of Centennial hops. Plan was to add hops on this schedule:

60 Minutes .2 Centennial
15 Minutes .2 Cascade
10 Minutes .2 Centennial
Flameout .2 Cascade

Any suggestions on tweaks I should make? I've never made an IPA before and only once have I done an all-grain (it was another 1 gallon batch). All my previous brewing was 5 gallon extracts.

TIA!

You got almost twice the grain you wanted. Vienna can be used as a base grain like the Rahr 2 row. I would double up on the hops and brew it as 2 gallons. It will not be the same as the recipe that you scaled down but should be OK.

You got almost twice the grain you wanted. Vienna can be used as a base grain like the Rahr 2 row. I would double up on the hops and brew it as 2 gallons. It will not be the same as the recipe that you scaled down but should be OK.

Do you just mean brew 1 gallon but with essentially double the hops/grains? or do you mean brew 2 actual gallons?

Do you just mean brew 1 gallon but with essentially double the hops/grains? or do you mean brew 2 actual gallons?

Because you got almost twice as much grain as you wanted I would brew 2 gallons. To keep the hops utilization the same you would need to double the hop amounts.
If you brewed it as one gallon your ABV would almost double.
So your IPA would end up being a double IPA. That would require more hops also to balance out.

Back