IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a somewhat balanced IPA not too bitter, but nice hops flavor. Here is what I've come up with for an extract brew:

Steep for 30 min @150*: 1# munich
.5# crystal 75l
.5# carastan

6.5# light DME

1oz chinook (pellet) @60
.5 summit (pellet) @5
.5 willamette (pellet) @5

SAF-05 yeast

OG - 1.063
FG - 1.016
IBU - 53
ABV - 6.1%

Lost on what to dry hop. I am guessing I dry hop .5 summit and .5 willamette. This is actually my first crack at messing with building or converting recipes, so any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure f my extract and steeping grains will give me the correct malt balance.

This is more an Amber Ale than an IPA. Try to get the GU:BU ratio around 1 to get what your "balanced" IPA.

Add another half ounce to each of your hop additions and you can call it an IPA. Might as well add a half ounce to each of your dry hops, too.

This is a five gallon batch, right?

I don't have much experience with steeping grains so I can't really help you there. But if you are after hop flavor, I would think about doing a 20 minute addition or something around that time frame.

You need to up your hops to make a good IPA, at least 3 ounces of flavoring hops. If you're looking for a good dry hop, Simcoe and Citra are excellent choices.

Just did one with this schedule, you will have to figure out amounts though..And its an awesome IPA...I try to stay at about 50-65 IBUs for my IPAs if that helps ya out..

Columbus @ 60
Amarillo @ 15
Amarillo @ 5
Amarillo @ 0

Amarillo and Cascade dry hop

Ya can also do, which I have an is awesome as well

Amarillo @ 60
Cascade @ 15
Cascade @ 5
Centennial @ 0

Dry hop with citra and amarillo

Yes, 5 gallon batch. I took which grains and hops from the Tommyknocker website for a one of their IPAs that I like. I used their IBU and ABV and tried to dial in to that with guessing the amounts to make this into an extract. I don't understand what you mean GU:BU ratio? (sorry, still a little new here) Would it make sense to do an oz of each Willamette and Summit @ flameout? Should I be using Summit for bittering and Chinook for flavor instead? How much to dry hop?

Sorry BU:GU = bitterness units to grain units ratio. Take your IBUs and divide that by the number to the right of the decimal of your OG. Anything around 1 can be considered hoppy. For an APA =0.75, for a porter = 0.4, IIPA = 1.2+.

Latest posts

Back