IPA OG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundernick

Reaction score
Hello,

I made my first IPA today. When you move it from the boiling pot to the primary fermenter, do you transfer the trub with it or do you leave it behind? I tried to siphon to leave it behind (since there was a lot), and my 4 gallons from my boil turned into a little over 3 in the bucket. I even put the trub through a strainer to try and squeeze the liquid out. I ended up topping it off with water to reach 5 gallons and it's only 1.070 as the OG. From the recipe it was supposed to be closer to 1.080.

Should I add any sugar or anything to it? I used safale us-05 for the yeast. In the future should I leave the trub in it when I transfer it? I still have 2 oz of simcoe hops for in a couple days from now.

Thanks,

Nick

1.080 seems more Imperial IPA OG to me. 1.070 is a pretty good place to be. I wouldn't mess with it.

I only do this when I do majorly-hopped beers (which is rare), but I'll boil and sanitize a massive paint strainer bag (same thing folks use for BIAB brewing), stick that in the fermenter, and strain through that. It filters out loose hop bits and most of the trub really well.

For most beers (I don't brew many IPAs, for the record) I just dump the trub straight into the primary. You'll lose a bit more come racking time, but I account for it.

On that same note, I use 1 gallon size paint strainer bags for the hops in the boil. You can also fashion a setup using a 5 gallon bag (im sure there's a ton of info on google, or bing if you prefer), where its open the entire boil. Its easier during clean up and gives the hops more room. Either way, the more hops you use the more trub there will be. As far as trub in the primary, it'll settle out :)

Great idea! I never thought about putting the hops in some type of bag. I'm going to have to do that next time so I lose less. I appreciate it!

Hello again!

I just took my FG and it's 1.02, which makes for 6.56% ABV and 70% attenuation. Think it's done? Should I start dry hopping now?

I tasted it and my gosh does it taste good. Simcoe hops are so amazing. I used 10oz so far of it and I have 2 for dry hopping.

Here's the recipe I used:

1 lb 2 Row Pale Malt Crushed
1 lb Dingemans Cara 8 Malt Crushed
4 oz Briess CaraBrown Malt Crushed
8 oz Red Wheat Malt Crushed
7 lbs Muntons Extra Light DME
1 lb Corn Sugar
4 oz Simcoe (60 Min)
1 oz Simcoe (45 Min)
1 oz Simcoe (30 Min)
1 oz Simcoe (15 Min)
2 oz Simcoe (10 Min)
1 oz Simcoe (5 Min)
2 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop) 1oz for 3 Days and 1oz for 4 Days 7 Total
Priming Sugar 5oz
Yeast: Safale US-05

Thanks guys.

Sorry, one more question. What is this foam thats on the top? I've never had it before on any of my other beers.

20131227_140722.jpg

Just an update, I just stirred in some gelatin to help clear the dead yeast and hops particles. This beer is so good I could drink it uncarbed. I can't wait to taste it all carbed up.

Here's a picture of it right now. Such a nice pretty color.

beer.jpg

Attached are pictures from bottling day. The first one is the carboy. Note how I lost ~1 gallon from the trub and hops sinking to the bottom. Next time I might put the hops in something to I lose less. The second picture is the leftovers from the bottles. I wasn't going to bottle a half bottle, so I just poured it to get a picture of the color and clarity.

ipa1.jpg

ipa2.jpg

Back