IPA Mustard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpride1911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a mustard with a beer? I got a recipe that Flying Dog posted. I just started it and was wondering what I could expect.

1/2 cup 50/50 dark mustard, light mustard.

2 TBS distilled vinegar

12oz IPA.

Let soak for 24-48 hours, then run through a blender or food processor.

http://flyingdogales.com/recipe-pumpernickel-ipa-mustard/

This is my attempt, just mixed about 30 minutes ago with Long Hammer IPA:

IMG_20130321_173153_589.jpg

Yeah I made one with a porter and all brown mustard in my sig. It is SO damned good.

there was a place in brooklyn that made a ipa jalapeno mustard that was pretty tasty (even though i didnt really taste the ipa or jalapeno much), sadly they shut down

Tried to use a blender but it wasn't even close to getting the job done. Had to switch to a food processor. I now have a 10 year supply of mustard. I'm going to can it tomorrow and see if I can give it away.

Definitely zingy. Seemed like it was going to be a lot hotter than it really is. The vapor stings your nose when grinding, but in the end wasn't to strong. Tastes good, but seems odd. Almost like the taste just disappears completely right when you start to enjoy it. I can't explain.

IMGP2650.jpg

IMGP2651.jpg

My friend that did yellow mustard had a similar experience. Mine with all brown mustard is almost like horseradish in the sting.

Yup beer mustard is awesome. I use red wine vinegar. I haven't noticed any real difference by changing the type of beer used. I also have 3lbs of mustard seeds from amazon. Guess I should mix the brown down with some yellow to make it less spicy. Its too intense for most people

Good to hear. I ordered the mustard seeds from Amazon. Thusly, I now have like 3 pounds of seeds. So plenty to experiment with.

is amazon the cheapest place to get mustard seed online? i want to try making some whole seed mustard

I don't know if it was the cheapest or not. It's just my go to place. I know my local HB shop sells it too, but I'm sure they're more expensive. The amount I got the vendor from Amazon is like a lifetime supply though.

You're going to want to include the beer. Without it, they won't mush very well. I actually didn't use enough and ended up with more of a butter than a mustard. Go easy on the beer at first, then add as needed to get the desired consistency that you want in your mustard.

You might. It's something that has to be played with. The original amount of beer and vinegar is WAY too much for the finished product, but draining it all off would leave it dry. It's probably best to have the excess beer/vinegar on the side and add the mixture as needed.

I made this yesterday. I used all yellow (because that's what I could get quickly) with sierra nevada and apple cider vinegar. It didn't taste much like mustard, more just like sour horseradish with an intense bite. Not sure if I just used the wrong vinegar or if a different beer would have been better, but I had to throw it out.

I was just thinking that since I have the Mr Coffee burr grinder that I also make spent grain flour with,if it'd be good to use it to grind the mustard seed to a medium floury consistency? And white vinegar would give a better bite,imo.

This sounds like it would be awesome of a roast beef sandwich. Very cool!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This thread caught my eye. I went to the local Indian market to buy some seeds reasonably priced and now waiting for the seeds to soak up the liquid gold. Can't wait!

Making a test batch of this right now with a hb centennial IPA that's very delicious. I also used red wine vinegar.
If it comes out tasting good I might try another test with heat.

20141112_202916.jpg

Latest posts

Back