IPA malt just BS marketing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope and nope.

But I like the idea: very low color two row base malt (bready vs grainy).

Not something that I'd keep 'in stock' at home, but it could be my new "secret ingredient" if I start competitive brewing again.

I don't understand the question. Are you thinking that a malt must have IPA in the name to use the malt to make IPA's?

If you want something in between the color and flavor of Pilsner and 2-row, just use half Pilsner and half 2-row.

Problem solved.
Yes, sir! Blending base malts is often the answer.

Regarding the IPA malt, that could be interesting. I bought a third Vittles Vault a few years ago so that I could stock a sack of US 2-row. I've auditioned a few, I'm currently liking Montana Select, but they're all a bit dull, tbh. If the price isn't stupid, I might pick up a sack.

I expect the price will be stupid, though.

I bet 90% of people can't tell the difference between Pils and Pale malt in an IPA
... and further let's assume that 5% notice, but don't care. And the remaining 5% will "walk away" from an IPA with Pils malt. If I were a professional craft brewer, and if I could switch to this malt (same price) and "get back" that 5%, there would seem to be a positive impact on my "bottom line".

I'll agree that this malt may not be a popular malt for homebrewers here at HomeBrewTalk. Since I have a short list of malts that I try to not talk about here, I'll probably add this malt to that list in a month or two.

:mug:

Back