IPA Grain Bill Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaHomeBrewer

Reaction score
I made a clone of Stone Ruination 2.0. The hop flavor/aroma is spot on. I don't think I could get it closer.

But when you drink it, there is a distinct difference. It is hard to explain.

When you drink the Stone, you can tell where the malt flavor ends and where the hop flavor begins. It was very crisp, clean tasting.

My version was very muddled together.

I was using WY1098 yeast. Part of me thinks the yeast plays a bigger part.

I'm wondering if perhaps it is the grain bill? I was using 11 lbs 2-row and .5 lb crystal 20l.

Would dextrose help clean it up a little bit? Just use less 2 row to make it less malty? Or is a different grain that would help, perhaps splitting the grain bill 50/50 with Pilsner?

I haven't played around with Pilsner malt much so I don't really know the flavor.

Or maybe it is just the brand of 2 row I'm buying from LHBS?

I think the recipe looks solid. Yeast does play a big factor in beers, especially when the recipe is majority base malt. After googling a recipe, WLP002 is the preferred yeast, and 1098 is the wyeast substitute. So you look on point with all of your ingredients.

My question is what is your brewing water like? Have you made IPAs in the past that were equally as muttled or have some (or all) been stellar? This will help lead us down the correct avenue to improve this beer.

I think the IPAs I make taste great. It wasn't bad, this was just the first clone that I made and the difference was noticeable. My wife (who isn't an IPA fan) also was able to spot it.

Was more curious than anything what the driver of this difference was.

I honestly don't know about my water. Do most cities publish this information publicly? A water filtration system is on my christmas list, but don't know if that will make a difference.

You could try substituting Vienna or Munich for the Crystal, although it's only 5% of your grain bill so I can't imagine it's making too big a difference. Did you hit your gravities? I don't think the 2 row is the culprit.

Yes gravity hit the mark. To reiterate it is still a great beer, just not crisp like the commercial.

For any DIPA, I would add sugar to help keep the malts in check. You are making an IPA, not a hoppy barleywine after all

And FWIW, Ive talked in detail with a former Stone employee and I know they used sugar in their first ruination recipe. I doubt they would ditch it for 2.0. I also know that they dont use an English yeast like 1098. That could be the gap between the malts and hops that isnt giving you that "crispness". The English yeast produces too many esters that you can taste in between the hops and malt

Back