Iodophor pouring/measuring/using...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
Watching a youtube video (Bobby), I noticed he had a push squirt top on there.

As I normally do with a Bobby_M video, I screamed BRILLIANT! and then said, wait, what size squirter is that?
I tried to fit one of the ones we had on it, but had no luck.

So, that brought up the question of.. What do others use for their iodophor?

After listening to a basic brewing podcast on idophor I learned that you should use 1/10 of an oz per gallon of water, that's about 2.9ml. I use a syringe from children's cough syrup that measures in milliliters. At the proper ratio it is no rinse.

Syringes work great for measuring small amounts of liquids. I have a 3ml and 10ml for measuring out iodophor (3ml/gal).

My larger container of starsan has a squeeze-measureing-top which is genius. Is that what you mean? I haven't seen bobby's vids yet.

Iodaphor, I heard lately, is no good for people with wells and septic systems. It's not as enviro friendly as star san, anyone heard this before?

Iodaphor, I heard lately, is no good for people with wells and septic systems. It's not as enviro friendly as star san, anyone heard this before?

nope haven't heard and I try to keep up on the latest info on santizers to maintain my Yoda Status..If you can cite a source let me know, so I can add that info to my knowledge base...

I wonder if that's a twist on the FACT that starsan is Great for septic systems....That doesn't mean that iodophor is bad for it, though...

FYI as of December of last year the recommended concentration of Iodophor was changed to be 1 TBS/5 gallons....so adjust your micro amounts accordingly...

I could swear I got that pump from Northern Brewer or some other online HBS. I used to measure the additions until I got used to what the correct mixture looks like colorwise. Using the force I am.

nope haven't heard and I try to keep up on the latest info on santizers to maintain my Yoda Status..If you can cite a source let me know, so I can add that info to my knowledge base...

I wonder if that's a twist on the FACT that starsan is Great for septic systems....That doesn't mean that iodophor is bad for it, though...

It was on the Brewing Network Brew Strong show on cleaners, I think they had Jon Herskovits from 5 star on there. They went over it for a little while, because I guess most people didn't realize iodaphor was harmful.

Latest posts

Back