iodophor is wrong color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchair

Reaction score
Just mixed iodophor and it is way lighter than normal, doubled the dose and still doesn't look right. Did they change it? did I get a bad batch? What should I do? I got two batches of beer cooking up. Help!!!

It shouldn't be very dark to begin with. A very light hay color. What color is the container you have it in? That could be having an impact on your perception of color.

Ive used it many times and this is a way lighter color than normal, even at more than twide the normal dose. I guess I will trust the mixture. I hope it works.

FWIW, this is a 12.5ppm iodophor solution.

IMG_1658.JPG

I would always suspect that your supplier may have some sort of batch to batch variation. But with that colour and correct smell, you can assume that its OK. Also remember that exposure to UV will eventually strip out the iodine and make the solution less (not at all) active.

I would use it anyway and have some faith that you will be okay today, people have done much worse!! Then buy some iodophor test strips the next time you shop so you can check the concentration. 12.5ppm and you are good, sometimes it starts fading as you use it.

Did you mix it with hot water? From what Ive read that will break down the iodine more quickly, turn it white, and actually make conditions favorable to bacteria. Use tepid or cold water.

Also - read this. Dude called up the company and talked to "Mr. Iodophor". Good read. Answered alot of questions for me.

no I only made that mistake with the hot water once- Had the windows shut and breathed the fumes into my lungs.

I still haven't figured this out, but the iodophor solution isn't as thick as normal either. Normally I have to rinse out my measure cup twice, and this time hardly at all, yet, when mixed it frothed and smelled like normal, and my eyes teared up as usual, (i am sensitive to this stuff) so I just went with it, giving a lil extra soak time, rather than test out the bleach then vinegar method from the podcast. Maybe I just got the last bottle of a production run or something. I have that kind of luck.

Back